Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its cold at the moment but my car is running even colder than usual :(
Some months ago I noticed that the engine never got much above 80, but put this down to long motorway trips as in traffic it never got over 95. However, I reckoned that a thermostat replacement wouldn`t hurt so went for it. The engine then ran approximately 2 degrees hotter (wow).
Now the weather is even colder and the car barely makes 80 again (still on the motorway). Is it a second duff thermostat? Do I have to put that horrible silver foil over half the radiator to make it run warmer? I always though that the thermostat should stay near enough shut until the engine was warm. Any ideas??

R

·
0 Posts
The Thermostat is mechanical so if you didn't nick one off a dead '55 in a breakers yard, it's unlikely that a new one (brand new) will not work.

'Stats eventually pack up because sitting in coolant for years means scale, grime, sludge and corrosion finally stops the sliding bits doing their thing.

I'd eliminate the gauge (or its reading) from the equation by letting the beast idle after a run and seeing if the temperature goes up to about 95 before the fan cuts in. It could just be reading low, for whatever gauge/sender/earthing related reason.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks R, although if the engine runs by the roadside it slowly climbs to 90/95 and the fan cuts in. Its just on runs down the motorway that it doesn`t ever seem to warm up. In fact, if it is at 90 and then I go on the motorway the temperature drops. Looks like is silver foil time frown

I

·
0 Posts
This is exactly how my car behaved before I changed the thermostat - running at 85 - 90 degrees in traffic but hardly over 50 on the motorway. Don't be tempted to use foil to block off the radiator - you have a problem somewhere which should be sorted out properly.

I would still guess at a dodgy thermostat, even if you have recently fitted one. Is there anything stopping it closing properly (old bits of gasket, debris in the cooling systems, etc)?

Ian

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well its had a new radiator before the thermostat change so the system should have been drained OK (it was all OK on the old radiator but that blew up and nearly cooked the engine! Thats another reason why I was happy to change the thermo). Now, if the thermo is OK, the gauge is ok and the coolant and rad are ok, what is left? D'oh!

I

·
0 Posts
If the gauge goes up to about 90 in traffic then it sounds as if it's working fine. If the car runs too cool on the motorway then the radiator is OK too. Unless anyone else has got a bright idea it MUST be the thermostat causing the problem either directly (because it has failed) or indirectly because something is holding it open.

Ian

R

·
0 Posts
Mine does the same does anyone know the part number for a thermostat for a '96 2.0L 16V. My CD-ROM is playing hide and seek at the moment

W

·
0 Posts
Rich

Try 60602148 (£45.77) for the thermostat and 14459780 (£1.70) for the gasket.

Check with the dealer though wink

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
£46 for the thermostat !!!!!
Mine cost about £16 from the dealer.

My part number is: 60556559. The gasket cost 99p.

I thought the 8 and 16 valves used the same thermostat, or maybe my eyes went funky when looking at J77's engine.

Marlon

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just spotted some dodgy plumbing under the bonnet. Looks very suspicious. Will try to trace it (but its a bit tight under there).

Thanks for the advice peeps, I think I may try for a new thermo - maybe even under warranty! Well, I try to be an optomist :rolleyes:

R

·
0 Posts
If the new "new thermostat" solves the problem then you should get a refund on the original new one, so no worries.

Ralf S.

S

·
0 Posts
this seems like my prob although i got no heater either. How tricky is thermo to change? Not much of a mechanic me!

M

·
0 Posts
It's pretty easy as you replace the whole housing. It is located on the right of the engine (if looking from the front). It will have a water temp sensor screwed into the top of it (blue plug). Just need Allen Keys and one of the bolts is underneath and quite tricky, but not hard.
This is for the Twinnys by the way.

Marlon

R

·
0 Posts
Getting my Thermostat on Thursday £10 from a friend who works at a motor factors we'll see how we get on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts