Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car has started making a rumbling noise over 50mph. Same noise in all the gears.
Not sure if it just needs a oil change but it's only been about 3k miles since its last.
Any advice would be great

·
Registered
11 Posts
Not changed the tyres recently?

My GTV sounded like it had four knackered wheel bearings after I put new tyres on it.

If you haven't changed your tyres, maybe a wheel bearing is on the way out?

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
Is it a constant "drone" or is it something more rhythmic? The former is most likely a rear wheel bearing - they often sound like a front one has gone, oddly.

A rhythmic one could be tyre or wheel issues, or could even be a brake pad rubbing on a disc if they're a bit worse for wear.

just a few "maybes" for thought!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've put tyres on recently but didn't make this noise straight away. Only just came on. I have plenty of bent wheels lol. Think all 4 have at least 1 flat spot. Lol. Can't afford new ones tho. Hope it's not wheel bearing either. Need to have a couples the without spending!

·
Registered
2,012 Posts
If you want to check your rears, it's best to jack it up and spin the wheel. If it spins too freely the bearing is gone. May not make a grumbling at "spun by hand" speeds. To really check it, take the brake pads out. if the hub spins with little resistance (it shoud have a little "drag" from the grease in it) its very likely the bearing has had it.

hth! (and also hope its something cheaper than this!)

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol. Cheers guys.
Ill test the wheel bearings.
Car pulls to the left as well even tho iv just had tracking done.

G

·
0 Posts
What's the tyre pressures like?
But... The key to the answer is in the question Marky...
Car will pull to one side after tracking if the a tyre had previously uneven wear. It will still want to follow it least path of resistance so will try and pull to one side.;)

Swap them front to rear same sides, rear left, to front left etc. This will give the uneven tyre a chance to wear evenly on the rear over a thousand miles or so to chop the feathering back to normal.and won't affect the handling as dramatically until then.
Then swap them back over. Chances are the noise is from the tyre tread sitting on the road abnormally at the moment until it wears back into a regular pattern, especially if tracking was indeed out by a fair amount for a while ;)
If you keep it on the front it will still start to wear evenly but will take longer as you are asking the front tyres to do a lot more work... A rear tyre just follows the car's position so a better chance of forcing it back to normal tread pattern wear.

Bring back Tapatalk !!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
You say the drone is over 50 mph - at slower speeds, say 10-20mph does it sound like a train on a track? If so feel the inside edges of the tyres to see if there's uneven wear (which makes the noise) - might be a symptom of a worn front/rear arm or soft springs. I had a similar sound at a similar speed and found the springs were worn/low after I replaced them putting the whole of the tread on the road = no uneven wear.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for all the info.
ill get the wheels swapped over tomorrow night and hopefully that will solve all my problems. :)
ill let you's know how i get on

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well I swapped the wheels over. car is still pulling to the left. think ill get the tracking checked again.
plus the noise is still there, im yet to check the wheel bearings tho. I feel like its coming from the engine some how. but thinking about it. it sounds like a dry turning noise so could be bearing.

G

·
0 Posts
A worn bearing will cause a droning noise almost like a drumming whiring at the speeds you suggest, above that the wind noise supersedes it. However, it doesn't explain the pulling to the left. That's either wheel alignment, camber, castor,bent or worn lower wishbone arm and bushes, uneven tyre pressure or irregular wear on the tyre. The latter you have now eliminated.
Ask for re-checking on 4 wheel laser alignment and double check correct tyre pressure but leave the tyres in their new positions. Post the figures mate;)

Bring back Tapatalk !!!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A worn bearing will cause a droning noise almost like a drumming whiring at the speeds you suggest, above that the wind noise supersedes it. However, it doesn't explain the pulling to the left. That's either wheel alignment, camber, castor,bent or worn lower wishbone arm and bushes, uneven tyre pressure or irregular wear on the tyre. The latter you have now eliminated.
Ask for re-checking on 4 wheel laser alignment and double check correct tyre pressure but leave the tyres in their new positions. Post the figures mate;)

Bring back Tapatalk !!!
thanks mate.
well iv got new lower arms to go on, iv just fitted a new upper wishbone on the nearside corner as well as a track rod end. I haven't done the offside yet tho as they all seem fine. if im getting the wheels laser aligned I guess I may as well get all my new bits put on.
how hard is it to replace the lower arms, do I just need to undo the lower bolt under the wheel hub, then the two bushes at the rear of the arm?

cheers

S

·
0 Posts
I have this noise as well (my description is a metallic pulsating drone)...very noticeable on smooth motorway....have already been diagnosed as having a worn lower arm ball joint will fix (when I can afford it) ....please update thread after you fit your new lowers ...be interesting to know if this is the cure!

S

·
0 Posts
Great , trying to come up with a better definition of the noise ....it's like sitting in an aircraft with headphones on and above the music you hear the continuous drone ....it's does not change pitch but softens under 50mph...I had a loan of a 147 recently and both arms were shot. I could hear almost exactly the same tune :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
im getting the bearing sorted out next week sometime.
im currently fuming as after i took my car in to get its tracking done and trusted them to do it. iv just been and tried to adjust my rod myself a little until i have time to go back and get it done. and the nut is still totally seized onto the bar. there is no way the scrawny young lad could have budged it because when i was changing the track rod end i tried then and it wouldnt move at all and it looks like it has never moved in a long time.
wont be going back to that garage!

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
turns out both my lower arms are totally shot so next task this weekend is changing them. is there a how to guide anywhere or any pit fall to look out for. my bolts do like rather seized on so im a bit worries about snapping one and having to wait forever to get a new one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts