Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Alfa 155 lives on the drive just outside my bedroom window. At 2:30 this morning the horn (not the alarm) decided to sound continuously. After regaining conciousness and deciding that World war 3 hadn't in fact started, I threw on some clothes, ran outside barefooted in the rain, opened the bonnet and ripped off the battery connect.

OK, you can stop laughing now.

As most of the town will testify to Italian horns are very loud. eek!

I've no idea what caused this, but the rain water dripping into the cabin might be a clue.

Italian electrics strike again!

I'll have a look today, perhap the water has dripped on to the steering wheel and activated the horn relay :confused:

Rest assured I will be removing the horn fuse every night for some time!

Any ideas anyone?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hmmm,

Found a little wetness in the fuse box.

Dried it out the best I could.

Reconnected the battery, now the front fog lights come on continuously even without the ignition on!

Pulled every fuse & relay I could see and the fog lights (& dashboard indicator) were still on,

What's going on....?

The fuses and relays are seemingly scattered at random around the car. So I could be barking up the wrong tree

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds like a poor earth connection under the bonnet,look around under the bonnet for a bunch of black wires all connected together joined to the chassis somewhere clean up all the contacts and see what happens.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wonder if this is similiar to the problem with circuit boards seperating (or something like that......) mentioned here recently?

You may still have water in there or damage from the ingress....guessing really!

wrinx

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips, I'll check the earths at the weekend.

Reconnected the battery for the drive to work today, the front fog lights came on again.

The fog light switch caused the replay to 'tick' as normal.

Anyway, luckily for me it was foggy this morning. So I took it to work. About 6 miles down the road the fog lights went off of their own accord.

Now everything seems normal so I think perhaps something has dried out....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts