Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
My missus found a ditch at the side of the M4 with Barum tyres in her KA!
She has Michelin Energy's now and grip 100% better and they are a low friction tyre:wow:

No one was hurt in this tyre test, but she did go between a barrier and a lamp post backwards with 12" spare on either side. I consider her a lucky wife:thumbs:

PS she was on a damp sliproad doing 40 when the suggested speed is 60 (signed) for that corner which she drives everyday!

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
£35 a corner from costco but htey are 13" rims:lol:

Bought them for her as she wanted me to clean the undergrowth from her car and find out if there was anything wrong with it. Rubber was the answer as I drove it there I 'misjudged' a roundabout on the way to getting the tyres and nailed it on the way back!

She fells much safer and I am glad to spend £130 on not killing my wife(she owes me money).

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
The KA is holding its value better than the 147 at the mo..........

Worth it as she plans to run the car for as many years as she can @18000 a year.

Quite nifty for a wee thing.
The ka isn't bad either.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Just got 4 new michelin tyres at a very hefty cost (£276!!!) and what a difference!! The suspected wheel bearing noise has gone and it corners so much better. The steering feels just like the 145 did too (i thought it was a bit too light before).

The Wan-Li's will be going up for sale shortly, i am sure someone can make use of them.

·
Registered
25,672 Posts
Anyone ever heard of Wan-Li tyres??? they are awfull.

I refuse to believe the 147 with its reputation for excellent handling has this little grip as standard. Driving in the rain causes the VDC light to flash on every corner and the other day on the way home from work i actually managed to get a four wheel drift... in a 147!!!!
4 wheels drifts are awesome, especially through sunny in and sunny out at Croft :thumbs:

·
Registered
809 Posts
The KA is holding its value better than the 147 at the mo..........

Worth it as she plans to run the car for as many years as she can @18000 a year.

Quite nifty for a wee thing.
The ka isn't bad either.
Agree also...

So long as you think of it for what it is, the KA's an excellent little motor for the money.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I don't know where you guys find these incredibly useless tyres. Certianly my two local indy tyre firms would never sell anything like that. I guess they are happy to see their customers return to them for more tyres rather than laying in a hospital bed or worse!

At present I have continentals all round on my 147. When I bought it it had Conti's on the back and something-else on the front, but as I do prefer the same tyres all round on my car (balances the handling don't you know) I matched up the new fronts I put on with those on the rear.

Now I don't drive like a mad-sarse-hod but I do enjoy the handling capabilities of my Alfas, yet I have never got anywhere near the limit AFAIK.

T'was the same on the 156 (GoodYear E-Agles) and the 146 (Pirrelli P6000 or something).

Now I am sure that there WERE differences between these different brands and also that on a test day at Brands :)cheese: ) you would be able to measure the difference between them, but I put it to you that on the road, provided it is an established, well known make, it will make bugler all difference.

They all cost around £60 to £80 a throw (depending on size), which these days is just the cost of a fillup, so why bother with real cheapos?

P

·
Registered
37,151 Posts
My comapany uses a garage in Wantage to do work on its vehicles. They fitted a Wanli Tyre to the back of it, after a suspension fault caused 1 tyre to wear out.

Most tyre places sell budgets, the favorites round my area being Runway, Sime Tyres and Camac. There is another tyre garage that can fit whatever brand you wish as long as you give them 1 day to get them in for you.

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Ah.. Camac radials... I used to have them on my 128 3P... Happy Days.. :)

The thing with cheap tyres is that they only grip when they're hot, so you have to work them a bit. Potter around like an old fart and they'll be as grippy as a ball bearing on a metal surface.

Start off slow and get them warmed up and they'll come to you.

I think Wan;li and the like make quite excellent summer tyres, as you can find the edge if you want to.. Also good for blasting up the motorways.. you get good mileage out of them and of course a sustained high speed run gets them nice and warm.

Any hint of cool weather.. stick a P-Zero on there.. :)

Ralf S.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Now I don't drive like a mad-sarse-hod but I do enjoy the handling capabilities of my Alfas, yet I have never got anywhere near the limit AFAIK.
I remember now! The 75 (Velocé = locking diff. :) :) :) ) did use to slide quite savagely in the wet! I think they have the diff set up for dry conditions though!

I also remember some TV programme (5th gear???) some years back did some methodical testing on several "branded" tyres and a set of cheap remoulds, and the remoulds had better grip!!! Seems that the rubber was so soft it gripped well but didn't last long :cheese: .

P

·
Registered
157 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1's all 4 corners.
Have nothing but good things to tell about them.
They saved the life of an old man when he tried crossing the road with me approaching at rather high speeds...
Love to try there new assy Eagle but it's not yet available over here.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Kumho's were on my first ever car (an Astra 1.4 mpi) and that had me 4 wheel drifting, I vowed never to touch a pair of Kumho's ever again....and I haven't.

I pretty much have Eagle F1's on every car I own/have owned since

D

·
0 Posts
I'm thinkning Yokohama Prada Spec 2's for my car. Buddy has em on this Teg Type R and can be flat to matt in second in VTEC round tight roundabout's not a bother so my car with half the power should be an animal haha:D:p

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Goodyear Eagle F1's all 4 corners.
Have nothing but good things to tell about them.
They saved the life of an old man when he tried crossing the road with me approaching at rather high speeds...
Love to try there new assy Eagle but it's not yet available over here.
They're quite harsh ride-wise and noisy as hell when they start to wear down, too. However, they do offer quite staggering levels of grip I grant you.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts