Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im geting a squeak from the offside front wheel / suspension turret area when ever I go over a bump.

anybody got any ideas what it might be.??:confused:

Cheers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
wishbones, anti roll bar links, etc... I have the same problem but don't have a time now to look into it and I don't want pay to anybody either :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wishbones, anti roll bar links, etc... I have the same problem but don't have a time now to look into it and I don't want pay to anybody either :)
Cheers I know how you feel, I will have the wheel off on Saturday and give everything a good wiggle to try and locate the squeak, a quick blast with some Gt85 might also do the trick. ;)

J.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Cheers I know how you feel, I will have the wheel off on Saturday and give everything a good wiggle to try and locate the squeak, a quick blast with some Gt85 might also do the trick. ;)

J.
Let us know if you solve it Jimmy. My 156 is creaking and groaning like a good 'un. Dealer says there is nothing worn and the suspension is all fine.
Creaks seem to stop in the wet, but the last couple of days when it has been very cold and dry, seems like all four corners are at it and it's doing my head in!:mad:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let us know if you solve it Jimmy. My 156 is creaking and groaning like a good 'un. Dealer says there is nothing worn and the suspension is all fine.
Creaks seem to stop in the wet, but the last couple of days when it has been very cold and dry, seems like all four corners are at it and it's doing my head in!:mad:
Will do, I will try and isolate what is making the noise then see if its due to excessive play or just squeaking because it can.
If worn I will replace the part, if not I will soak it with GT85, a bit like Wd40 but has teflon in it and displaces water. Hopefully will provide lubrication to stop the squeak. If I find the culprit I will post a pic.

J.

·
Registered
119 Posts
getting the same thing on my 156(front only) mech says every thing is solid no give in wishbones or any of suspension ect. he reckons its the shock tops and is nothing to worry about.... they are spurious shocks but they are good quality. hard to find when car is stoped tiny squeek when i bounce on the bonnet if im stoped. hard to locate all most sounds as if it the dash from inside but positive its not.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
getting the same thing on my 156(front only) mech says every thing is solid no give in wishbones or any of suspension ect. he reckons its the shock tops and is nothing to worry about.... they are spurious shocks but they are good quality. hard to find when car is stoped tiny squeek when i bounce on the bonnet if im stoped. hard to locate all most sounds as if it the dash from inside but positive its not.

Yeah that sounds like mine also, sound is almost in the car so could be the top suspension turret, might nip up the bolts that hold the suspension in as well then.

Cheers.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am now stuck in as I get a prytty bad bug but as soon I will feel better I wil hve a go...

I have already sprayed all possible rubber places with this GT85 but it doesn't help... I will continue looking at it and will let you know if anything change...

All the best

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would put money on it being one or both the upper wishbones I had similar problem on my 147 they all checked out fine with no play so I changed them anyway and it's not made any noise since

·
Registered
235 Posts
Upper wishbones, mine was squeaking and they looked fine with no play at all but i changed them and no more sqeaking, cheap enough and easy to change

·
Registered
471 Posts
I've noticed something similar from my offside front. I'm not sure if its coming from the dashboard or the wheel. Its does not make the noise over every bump, just the big ones.

I've sprayed the wishbone with 3-in-1 Silcone spray to see if that cures it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It might cure it for a while but it will start again, i bought 2 wishbones for less than £40 ,changed the drop links at the same time and no more squeeks and no more rattles

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine to. sprayed silicon lub up in wheel arch, above wheel, the two wide ends of the wishbone (Rubber bushes) and all is quiet for now. have just received 2 x upper wishbones (Both sides, only one side is creaking, other side sure to follow!) and 2 x anti-roll bar drop links.
With VAT & postage from EB spares 108 pounds. Easy job if you have the right tools (I don't!) There's a 'How to' guide if you do a forum search.

Here's the 'How to' link

http://members.lycos.co.uk/greenserpent/Alfa156Strut-v2.pdf

Though it's usually only the Upper wishbones that need replacing!

Here's a link with good advise/photos.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-147-156-and-gt/139795-squeeky-suspension-again.html?highlight=upper+wishbones

·
Registered
471 Posts
Cool thanks for that. I plan on doing mine early in the new year.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Well the silcone spray got rid of the noise, so I guess that means its the wishbone/bushes and/or droplinks that need sorting.

I'm going to take the wheels off tomorrow, am swapping the fronts over with the rears as the rears have more tread. While I'm doing it I'm going to play with the suspension. How much "play" would be considered an MOT fail? Its due in January and idealy, with Christmas just around the corner would like to wait till after it to replace them.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Well the silcone spray got rid of the noise, so I guess that means its the wishbone/bushes and/or droplinks that need sorting.

I'm going to take the wheels off tomorrow, am swapping the fronts over with the rears as the rears have more tread. While I'm doing it I'm going to play with the suspension. How much "play" would be considered an MOT fail? Its due in January and idealy, with Christmas just around the corner would like to wait till after it to replace them.
Glad to hear the silicone did it. Mine is creaking like a good 'un, all four corners if I get on a real bumpy road, so I am going to try some spray in the next few days.
As for the MOT, if you take it my main dealer it won't matter, they passed mine last week, despite me telling them there was something wrong with the suspension - they insisted it is all fine, nothing worn or in need of any attention!

·
Registered
471 Posts
Thats quite a good result then! My old man says its pretty much down to the individual MOT tester as to if its a fail or not.

I swapped the wheels round on my car today (Front wheels onto the back and backs onto the front), gave everything another dose of Silcone spray for good messure and noticed no real movement or play in the suspension. So I guess I'll wait and see what happens when it does go for its MOT and will probably replace them anyway later in the new year.

Thanks to all who've helped in this thread. :thumbs:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts