Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, one of our cats caught a blackbird :tut: and had done some damage before my wife managed to rescue the bird.

This was the first time this had happened as the cat has a bell fitted and we try to keep him in at dusk and dawn which are favourite feline hunting times.

I called the RSPCA, without much hope of a useful response - especially on New Year's Day - but after going through the standard multiple choice filters I spoke to a human who took the details and said someone would call back.

An hour or so later, whilst keeping an eye on the poor injured bird, the RSPCA called back to say they were on their way but were about an hour away.

I honestly thought they would tell me not to be so daft, it's cat/bird/nature stuff etc but no -someone drove for an hour or more to pick-up an injured blackbird!!

You may be thinking 'what a waste of resources in these hard times' but I think it's great:p
(Can't imagine many other countries where that would happen)

(cue long line of posts blaming us for having cats:eek:):)

·
Registered
22,760 Posts
Could've been worse, you could have a mastiff that hunts magpies!

All that was left were two wings and a pile of bloody feathers.

No need for the RSPCA in that case, just a shovel and carrier bag.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
A few years back my cat caught a pigeon and did some damage to it, but it struck me at the time that it could possibly recover, so I called my vet to ask their advice. I was amazed when they told me to bring it in. They said they had a legal obligation to provide basic, free treatment to any wild animal or bird brought into them. They inspected the bird and were confident of saving it. Had that not been the case, they would have put it down for free.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
and there was me thinking the humane thing to do to an injured bird was to smash it over the head with a shovel and put it out of its misery :eek:
If it's badly injured, I would agree with you. The one I took to the vet looked like it could probably be saved.

K

·
0 Posts
and there was me thinking the humane thing to do to an injured bird was to smash it over the head with a shovel and put it out of its misery :eek:
I tend to use a brick much as I do with damaged rodents. Our cat doesn't get many these days but they are usually dead when found.

·
Registered
7,152 Posts
Alan Partridge deadpan quote time from his Radio Norwich on air interview with the son of the man who invented cats eyes:

"I hit a fox in my car last night. Didn't kill it. Had to go back and finish it off with the jack."

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alan Partridge deadpan quote time from his Radio Norwich on air interview with the son of the man who invented cats eyes:

"I hit a fox in my car last night. Didn't kill it. Had to go back and finish it off with the jack."
:lol:

As above, I'd have finished the bird off myself if I'd thought it was beyond help, but it didn't seem that bad. Tbh I was relieved the RSPCA said they'd come as I'm a bit squeamish about bashing birds' heads in:eek:

·
Registered
37,739 Posts
A few years ago we called out the RSPCA because our cat caught a Kingfisher.

My mum managed to get the cat off it and put it into a large ice cream tub until they arrived.

Our current cats are goog at catching Pigeons.

·
Registered
3,418 Posts
Our old cat used to catch squirrels, and enjoy eating their brains. I did request we called him Lucifer when we got him, but I was denied. Then this happened. I think I was proven correct.

·
Registered
10,575 Posts
I would have been an RSPCA officer except at the final interview i was told I as all officers have too would be required to put down healthy animals:(
I left the interview..

·
Registered
11,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would have been an RSPCA officer except at the final interview i was told I as all officers have too would be required to put down healthy animals:(
I left the interview..
You've got me thinking now, maybe they had 23 blackbirds and a pie crust ready to go....

....... I thought it was a bit odd they'd come all that way for a pesky wounded blackbird:rant:

Next time I'll just go for the car jack:cheese:

·
Registered
44,881 Posts
If you have cats you learn that killing stuff is a hobby the cat wants to share with you :lol: I've had my 'finish it off with a brick' moments, no worse than running over a rabbit in the car. I've saved and set free dozens of mice, voles and birds from the clutches of my felines. Those are the exceptions though, usually they are found dead or needing a compassionate brick :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts