Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really wanted a aux in port on my Brera for sometime so I just purchased, this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fiat-Grande-Punto-Alfa-159-car-stereo-aux-input-adaptor-for-3-5mm-iPod-iPhone-/111040540949?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item19da883115

I know how to connect it to the back of the HU, but how do I route the cable? I would like to get it to either the glovebox or to the cup holder/box bit behind the gearstick on the center console?

If anyone knows how, or can push me in the right direction of a guide it would be great thanks!

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
Pull the headunit, check the cable works first then
pull the side panel off the centre consol and you should see it's easy to
chase the wire to the glovebox after dropping it down the side.
There's even a piece that pops out inside the glovebox to allow wiring into the glovebox.

Be careful when refitting the centre consol side panel not to bend
the metal clips or break the plastic toggle or holes on the centre consol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh brilliant thanks, that sounds quite simple :)

And if I wanted to route it down past the gear stick to the middle of the car?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
On my old Gt, for pulling an I pod cable through to the armrest I used one of those flexi net curtain cables I had lying around (they've even got hooks on them)

·
Registered
361 Posts
i fed mine through a small gap in the passenger side judt under the glove box. kinda where the two carpet peices in the side wall overlap.. handy spot i think

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah thanks guys, peelyjohnson thats exactly what im after. Is removing the interior there hard/anything to look out for when doing it?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Hi,

No, it's not particularly hard. As you're doing a straight plug and play it should be straightforward. Brief guide (there are more in depth ones on here):

Passenger aluminium strip removed (open door, prise off 'side' of glovebox, undo screw underneath). The strip is held in by 4-5 'pins'. They're stiff, so go easy and work your way left to right.

Undo all glove box screws (10 maybe) and remove entirely. You'll have to disconnect the light and USB port if you have it.

Undo the carpet screws and remove any plugs under the glovebox. Remove the plastic trim along the side of the centre console (the hard lighter grey bit - don't move the spongy stuff!). Pull carpet down so you can see behind/the side of the centre console.

Remove stereo, feed cable through from behind, connect and replace stereo. Lay the cable where you want it.

If you want it in the cup holder, you'll have to snap off one of the cup holder flaps or drill a hole somewhere. As it only needs to be big enough for a 3.5mm jack, I guess you can just drill a hole.

The cable should now be loose at the side of the passenger seat. You can simply feed it into the hole you cut (a little tricky depending where you put it). Replace carpet and plastic trim on the side of the centre console, then the glove box, aluminium strip etc. Done. You may want to put a knot in the cable either side of the hole so it doesn't fall through and so it will stop when it's pulled.

Careful of:

All aluminium, it's very soft and prone to scratching/denting.
The spongy stuff around the centre console, very hard to stick back down if it comes unstuck.
Where you drill. The side is obviously fine (it's double skinned around the drinks holder) but I have no idea what electrics etc run underneath.

This is how it looks with the glovebox out and carpet down.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
RS, PM me your email if you want a step by step guide with photos to removing the centre console, glovebox and gear selector area.

·
Registered
59 Posts
If he's not replacing the head unit, just plugging in this adaptor, he won't need to remove the centre console/gear gaiter, just the glovebox :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
Not at all peeley, OK with me. Next time I use a Haynes manual I will remember to dismantle the entire vehicle with the 'special tools' when all I wanted was to check the location of a fuse.
Noted your location, as I currently work in Norwich.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys, pretty good idea of what to do now, thanks

I've removed the HU and the Yellow ISO I was looking to use already has a wire going into it, how do I remove the wire from the current ISO connector and put in into my Yellow AUX ISO? Or is there a better way to do it? (If that all makes sense)

·
Registered
59 Posts
I believe that the yellow pin is either a CD changer (Bose setup) or Blue&Me. Does your head unit have the correct/corresponding pins to your new yellow plug? I know some people have the yellow cable with say three pins wired in, but their head unit only has a pin to accept one of these.

Have you tried connecting your new lead and seeing what is lost? Do that, then check if/how your CD player and Blue&Me (if you have it) is affected

1 - 18 of 18 Posts