Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having recently did a rolling road test allowing me to see the “horses” update nine years after its creation in Italy, I posted the details on the forum.

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/309954-gtv-cup-rolling-road-test-results.html

At the weekend I decided to have the my Cup remapped.

I had made contact initially back in April with Gus at Alfatune who told me what he could do
telling me whenever I was ready he would work his magic.

Eight months later and it was time !

I was very happy with the drive of the car and thought having 218 bhp it might not suffer so much from the "problem areas" sometimes mentioned on this and other forums such as hesitation,
no torque very low down in the rev range etc etc but now I can see the Cup like most GTV’s did and Gus has removed those issues.

After Gus has worked his magic I now have far better pick up accelerating through the gears, reving much more freely - indeed it almost seems effortless and offers greater flexibility.
The power is awesome and there is loads of torque from the very bottom of the rev range, so I can drive through the gears so much better.

It certainly does not feel restrained any more.

As for some facts and figures on the last test the details are -

When the Alfa GTV 3.0 V6 24 V engine car first came out it was set under the Euro 2 rules (European Emission standards) and had a setting of 220 bhp but under the Euro 3 rules introduced officially in 2000 the same engine had a revised setting of 218 bhp.

On the Rolling road test last time my Cup achieved the figure of 216.5 bhp @ 6204 rpm.

Now it is 235 bhp @ 6032 rpm
An increase of 19 bhp

Various magazine articles at the time of launch offered torque figures such as 270 Nm @ 5000 rpm (Euro 2) and the Euro 3 Torque figure of 196 lb.ft @ 5000 rpm.

The Cup on the last rolling road test achieved a reading of 267 Nm @4850 rph which was actually achieving higher than the "off the production line" setting.

The Euro 2 settings for the 3.0 V6 24V -(1997-1998) is listed as 270 Nm (200 lb.ft)
The Euro 3 settings for the 3.0 V6 24V -(1998-2003) is listed as 265 Nm (195 lb.ft)

Now it has increased to 284 Nm ( 210 ib.ft )

Leaving aside the facts and figures as they are not always everything it is how well it drives
and boy does it drive great.

Great job Gus. Well done that man

Now to make it even stronger it needs to have GTV catless manifolds fitted and equal length downpipes as well.
Where is Santa when you need him !!.

I have attached some pictures of the car being tested. I also did a video which I will need to post at some point.

I will also attach the results graph which is a great visual record of the car's performance.

Trivial but crazy point –
It achieved 235 bhp and the car registration is 235 NVT
Spooky !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
Top result......you must be well chuffed........:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Alan,

Was this RR at the same place as previously?
No it was another centre although I had a deal of a before and after the changes on this RR so I tested the Cup before the changes were to be made by Gus and it matched exactly the bhp of the first centre of 216 so consistancy was true.

Alan

·
Registered
458 Posts
No it was another centre although I had a deal of a before and after the changes on this RR so I tested the Cup before the changes were to be made by Gus and it matched exactly the bhp of the first centre of 216 so consistancy was true.

Alan
It's a shame you couldn't have had it RR back at the original place, I'm really interested in the remap gains to be honest.

I'm not doubting they aren't true for one second, I have just always felt that it's in a remapping companies interest to show decent gains on the dyno. I was hoping this thread would have proved me wrong via an independent test at the original RR to where it was mapped! Maybe I should stop being so sceptical! :D

Ben

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a shame you couldn't have had it RR back at the original place, I'm really interested in the remap gains to be honest.

I'm not doubting they aren't true for one second, I have just always felt that it's in a remapping companies interest to show decent gains on the dyno. I was hoping this thread would have proved me wrong via an independent test at the original RR to where it was mapped! Maybe I should stop being so sceptical! :D

Ben
Hi Ben,
Both centres are independent and were of my choosing.
The remap (Alfatune) had no involvement in a RR.

I had two RR's done at different centres to prove that the results were consistant.
This was achieved on two Rolling Roads and in several tested runs on each.

I had a second test done at the second centre for the results after the remap as it was nearer.
Ideally I could go back to the first centre and have another test there to check the check !!
But its all additional money of course.
Independance and validation has been achieved all through though, in my eyes.

Bottom line of course is how it drives both before and after to the driver (me) and its a great improvement I can assure you .
No piece or two paper with facts and figures and graphs would have convinced me it was better if it was driving only as good as before or worse.

Alan

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi Ben,
Both centres are independent and were of my choosing.
The remap (Alfatune) had no involvement in a RR.
Ah excellent, for some reason I had it my head that it had been RR at the place who'd remapped it!

Bottom line of course is how it drives both before and after to the driver (me) and its a great improvement I can assure you .
No piece or two paper with facts and figures and graphs would have convinced me it was better if it was driving only as good as before or worse.

Alan
I agree 100%, if it feels better then it's money well spent. Like I said previously, I'm intrigued by the whole remapping thing, especially on NA cars where it's not easy to extract big gains as easy as with a FI car. Enjoy the car, would be interested to see if fuel consumption has changed (although I expect it will for a while whilst you enjoy it!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts