Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All.

Just got my car back from shop after changing timing belt and removing variator belt/free flow exhaust/among a few other things.
I was pretty confident with the gent working on my car for he has built/raced t.s. engines for many many years.

Question is will removing the balance shaft/variator belt make the car idle more roughly? The car seems to rev and pull happily with no undesirable noises.

A friend in Canada that knows these engines well says no...

And then I have read some say their engine rougher idle after removing.

I am concerned the job may have not been done improperly and would hate to pop my motor!

Thanks so much in advance for input.

·
Premium Member
1,190 Posts
First of all why would you remove the balance belt?
The balance shafts remove engine vibration. Have a look here: https://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/engines-ts-jts-jtd-andamp-v6/309402-2-0-ts-balance-shaft-question-2.html#post4513196

And when the workshop changed the timing belt did they use cam locks?
To me it sound like the timing belt could be a tooth off

NB. There is nothing called a variator belt :)
The variator is a device that through an electronic solonoid and oil pressure adjust the inlet cam timing

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I didn't have the balance belt put back on when I had the cambelt done on mine. I figured it was one less thing to go wrong on a 190,000 mile engine. Does it run less smoothly without? Maybe at tickover but you would not notice any difference really.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks all for any/all input.
when cold started, the engine is actually very quiet and smooth...when its warm/oil pressure ramps up...the diesel type idle appears. I would not suspect this being a product of timing being a tooth off or so or I would think it would be immediate symptom at startup. I'm thinking variator is crapped out or the solenoid is inop. considering smooth/quiet until oil pressure builds up, I'm actually suspecting the solenoid more for it controls the actuation of the variator but I'm just shooting in the dark here. thoughts?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts