Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
This might be a bit of stab in the dark, but couldn't anyone shed some light on how much the following could cost:

1. nt brake disc worn, pitted or scored, but not seriously weakened (3.5.1i)
2. exhaust system in poor condition front centre and rear
3. offside front outer Front constant velocity joint gaiter deteriorated, but preventing the ingress of dirt (2.5.C.1a)

any help would be very appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Almost certainly more than your car is worth. Welcome to Alfa ownership!
Brakes and gaiter £250. Parts are less than £70 if you can do this yourself.
Exhaust cost varies greatly depending on your car. If you can get a complete system fitted for under £300 you'll be doing well. On the petrol cars some nice stainless systems are available but obviously cost a lot more.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Almost certainly more than your car is worth. Welcome to Alfa ownership!
Brakes and gaiter £250. Parts are less than £70 if you can do this yourself.
Exhaust cost varies greatly depending on your car. If you can get a complete system fitted for under £300 you'll be doing well. On the petrol cars some nice stainless systems are available but obviously cost a lot more.
Being in Australia his car is worth way more than it is in the UK so the cost of repair will be nowhere near the value of the vehicle.

@ OP

1. Discs cost about $100 a pair and are very easy to fit yourself so long as you know which end of the spanner to hold! If going to a mechanic it shouldn't take them any longer than 45mins to an hour to change all 4 discs (slightly longer if doing pads and fluid as well).

2. Go to a local exhaust shop and get a quote. On my GTV TS I was quoted $650 for a full cat-back 2.5" stainless sports system from a VERY reputable shop in Adelaide. So you can get a mild steel cat-back done for about $400. Go to a few different places and see what sort of prices you can get. You would be amazed at the price variation! One place wanted $1k for a stainless system and they had nowhere near the reputation of the other shop I got the $650 quote from. Some places just expect that you don't have a clue and will try and take you for a ride! So get 3 or 4 quotes, go for the cheapest so long as it seems like a reasonable enough joint (Google for reviews etc.)

3. The gaiter itself is cheap but is probably about an hours labour to get it changed so expect somewhere around $150-$200 depending on your mechanic's hourly rate.

So all up, for 4 discs, the exhaust and the CV gaiter expect to pay about $900 give or take if using a mechanic. Or save about $100-$150 and do the discs yourself. One of the easiest jobs you can do on a car!

·
Registered
5,266 Posts
If all of those are advisories on your MOT I'd leave them until they become fails but keep an eye on the gaiter.

- Just noticed your are in Oz - not sure how your system works.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Firstly apologies, I relocated back to the UK in March - I'll update my location now.
Secondly thanks for the input - it's a car I'm looking at buying....really not sure if it's worth the risk.....them again I don't think any of my Alfa purchases have been made with my head.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Ah in that case I wouldn't bother. You could pick one up without any major issues for not much more than cost of repair for the vehicle mentioned in OP!

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
These are more like service items - you're talking about a 12yr old car after all, any car of that age is going to need the odd CV boot, replacement exhaust section or new brake discs.

I wouldn't rule the car out, if everything else on it is decent and the price is OK then go for it. I had a 156 V6 recovered in to me this week with a collapsed rear shock, after putting it on the ramp to begin the job I found it needs the floors welding, most of the front suspension has play in bushes/balljoints, both front outer CV joints are split, the downpipes are blowing etc etc. This is par the course for running old Alfas. At least you won't lose anything on depreciation :)

·
Registered
780 Posts
These are more like service items - you're talking about a 12yr old car after all, any car of that age is going to need the odd CV boot, replacement exhaust section or new brake discs.

I wouldn't rule the car out, if everything else on it is decent and the price is OK then go for it. I had a 156 V6 recovered in to me this week with a collapsed rear shock, after putting it on the ramp to begin the job I found it needs the floors welding, most of the front suspension has play in bushes/balljoints, both front outer CV joints are split, the downpipes are blowing etc etc. This is par the course for running old Alfas. At least you won't lose anything on depreciation :)
True though for a few hundred quid more he may be able to find a car that doesn't need immediate attention. But definitely get what you're saying :thumbup:

·
Vendor
46,352 Posts
Its a JTS so it has:

Manifold/catalysts assembly -> downpipe inc. flexi -> small silencer box -> middle section -> backbox

The middle section and backbox are the same fitment as 1.9 JTD / 2.4 JTD / 2.5 V6 but the downpipe and small silencer box are unique to the 2.0 JTS. If the downpipe and small silencer can't be sourced cheaply you could just get replacements made up by a fabricator, it'd be pretty simply work as its largely straight with just a few bends. Manifolds will be fine but the MOT advisory listed front, centre & rear all in poor condition so I reckon everything would need doing after the manifold, that is pretty normal for a JTS.

For the cat-back you could just get something cheap / 2nd hand if you were on a budget:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131825613188

1 - 12 of 12 Posts