Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning all - before someone jumps in with do a search, I already have, several times over, and failed to find anything that looks like an answer for me.

She is 1.9 JTDM 159.

symptoms are as follows:

First thing when the engine is cold, like having been left overnight or something, the idle is really really rough, you can see the rev counter fluctuating slightly. This will only last for a very short time, by the time I get to the end of the street, which is literally 200 yards at most, it will be fine.

Also with this is a bit of white smoke out of the exhaust, again this dies away quickly.

Once running all is well, very smooth and seems all okay, I have good turbo response from about 1.5k rpm and seems to pull ok, although not sure if lacking a little bit bottom end.

Things I have done:

changed glow plugs for new - no real improvement.
checked DPF status on FES, 100.5% clogged, regen run now 70% clogged.
checked engine temp, FES reports 75deg, dash gauge reports 85deg
also reset adaptive parameters to see if this helps.

Questions:

should I be concerned about the 10deg difference in engine temp on FES vs the temp gauge on the dash. I know dash is likely to be coolant temp isn't it, so is that normal?

I've not had the EGR off yet to see about cleaning and fitting a restrictor plate to it, would this be a possible suspect?

I noticed that down in the wing near the MAF was rather dirty when I got the car, would MAF be a suspect as I asume the airbox is down in that wing?

and lastly, anyone got any bright ideas why she would be doing this to me? haha.

Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Clean the EGR, simple job don't worry to much about blanking it off yet, clean the MAP and MAF sensors and redex the fuel system ... I'm sure this will resolve your issue in less than an hour !

You could even leave the MAF well alone, doesnt really sound like a MAF issue. There's variation on my temp gauge, not 10 degrees but its hard to be a accurate as one is digital display reading (ECU scan) and the other in the car isn't.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wasn't planning on blanking off all together but am aware from previous models that Alfa fit a restrictor plate with I think 3 holes on the official one about 5mm, or some fit a single 8~10mm holed plate to do the same job. If it wasn't done I was going to.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the rough idle as you have described. I replaced the MAP sensor and did an ecu reset and it seems to have sorted it. Waiting for really cold morning to see how effective its really been. If you have already done the reset to no avail then it may just be that sensor. Think it was £50 with next day delivery.
I did attempt to clean my original but it made no difference, that said i may not have done a great job lol.

S

·
0 Posts
Swapped my EGR today ( rotate them every 12 months) take swapped to work for a good bath... and cleaned MAP ....exactly the same issue with smoke from cold , cleared MCSF a few times in the last couple weeks ...fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hhhmmm, I think I have a spare MAP sensor sat around somewhere - one of the many parts I've accumulated over the years, as you do! I might give it a whirl. Cheers guys.

S

·
0 Posts
Oh bother ....keeping my language sweet...EGR swap and map clean no workie this time...car is running fine , no issues with boost etc MCSF came back on today ....me thinks its time for a service ....done about 14k since last one ....air filter probably caked. :)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeh I had checking my air filter on my 'to do' list, as although it has been serviced regularly and properly by someone that appears to know what they were doing, when I first got the car the drivers side wing where the airbox sits was utterly caked in mud, so I do kind of wonder if the air filter looks a bit the same.

Annoyingly I don't have any fault codes to guide me in the right direction.

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Try blanking the EGR with a bit of metal from a coke can ( relax the two bolts that run vertically and slip it in underneath), see if it makes a difference.
With the EGR, it seems to be the solenoid that becomes terminal rather than the open/closing flap mechanism. Even with a thorough clean and sanding down the corrossion, it is a short term fix.

I can recomend the 8 mm diamond restrictor over the 4 hole square one.

S

·
0 Posts
I have a restictor plate in place ... Starting to think it may be happening due to the very high temperature the last few days ...:cool:

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
I had a restrictor plate and the EGR still died (it had done 45k before the plate was fitted). Before taking to the garage (thinking it would affect the warranty I removed it, and it was really bad then!).

I also thought I lost a little power in the hot weather too!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you will certainly loose power in this [hot] weather - only way to gain some of it back is a good quality FMIC.

The heat will make the air less dense, so less oxygen making it into the cylinders per stroke means you can't inject as much fuel into the cylinder as the mixture has to be fairly precise. just wait a few weeks and get out on nice cool late summer / autumn mornings and feel all the power come back :)

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
Off topic, but does the JTDM have any sort of intercooler on it? I know the similar sized VW TDi's do (I know as the intercooler pipe 'popped' off, not a fun drive back from North Wales!!).

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yes - they do!

they're FMIC i believe, on the front, inboard most is the coolant engine rad, followed by the aircon condenser rad, then the power steering coolant (wiggly pipe) and oil cooler side by side, then I think the FMIC goes on the very front.

its a good size dimensions wise but its not very thick, not sure how great the airflow through it is, or not!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
yes - they do!

they're FMIC i believe, on the front, inboard most is the coolant engine rad, followed by the aircon condenser rad, then the power steering coolant (wiggly pipe) and oil cooler side by side, then I think the FMIC goes on the very front.

its a good size dimensions wise but its not very thick, not sure how great the airflow through it is, or not!
Not quite !

Water rad, inter cooler, air con rad then the oil and power steering pipe

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
aaahh dam, so close! haha.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts