Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I'm the onwer of 2016 Giulia QV in Rosso Competizione color. I believe the code of the is 361/B 3-layer coat. Wish to respray some parts on my car, but the paint shop couldn't find the info how to mix the ink and how the layers must be apllied on the car. They spent almost 3 weeks, but no luck. May be someone can help me with some documents how it must be done. Any info appreciate. Thanks

·
Registered
75 Posts
should not really be a problem, most paint companies will have a solution, but some may vary. normally with a 3 stage colour the first is a metallic ground coat close to the actual colour, then a tinted clear goes on top of this. because of the use of water based paint these days you can't put a water tint in the clear so a clear base is used then the 3rd coat would be a 2 pack clear over the top. there are some exceptions though, some companies use a coloured die in 2 pack clear which you bake then re-clear to protect . its not as complicated as it sounds but is time consuming as the painter needs to spray several test cards to get the correct levels of each coat. will have a look and see if i can find any info on a mix

·
Registered
75 Posts
just had a look on Glasurit online, which is the paint company i use , they have 2 on-line formulas which took all of 2 mins to find, somebody is having you on

·
Registered
429 Posts
The glasurit formulas are not a match for the real life colour. I visited one of our top paint shops (Porsche, Mercedes, Lambo, Rolls Royce approved shop etc). They were painting the front of a Comp Red Giulia QV (same as mine). They had prior given me a test pot of the official Glasurit code for this paint and I couldnt get it to match for touching up stone chips. They showed me why. Their first go at the car (just the hood) was a disaster using the factory code. One of their top guys then spent half a day re formulatig the paint using test cards. He has an exceptional eye for colour. Eventually they settled on a formula. Because of the layering system its very difficult. The base is actually a metallic bronzy orange and very matt. I think that remains true to the formula but none the less needs to be laid down with the flip looking even and no runs as it cant be flattened. The real mare was the tinted coat to get the final colour right. The tinted coat makes the orange turn red and starts to create more gloss. The final coat is a sealer/varnish. The process is as the poster above mentioned but the problem is the tinted mid coat - the paint code and system doesnt correlate to the real world. They spent alot of time getting this car right (It was the MD of the Alfa chain in NZs car!). In the end they got it very close and then had to blend through the A pillars and right the way down tapering through the rear doors (basically over half the car). I took the new test pot they mixed me from this new formulation and re touched up my chips and its more or less spot on - much different from the factory code and touch up pens I had tried previously...hope that helps

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The glasurit formulas are not a match for the real life colour. I visited one of our top paint shops (Porsche, Mercedes, Lambo, Rolls Royce approved shop etc). They were painting the front of a Giulia QV. They had prior given me a test pot of the official Glasurit code for this paint and I couldnt get it to match for touching up stone chips. They showed me why. Their first go at the car (just the hood) was a disaster using the factory code. One of their top guys then spent half a day re formulatig the paint using test cards. he has an exceptional eye for colour. Eventually they settled on a formula. Because of the layering system its very difficulat. The base is actually a metallic bronzy irrange and very matt. I think that remains true to the formula but none the less needs to be paid down with the flip looking even and no runs as it cant be flattened. The real mare was the tinted coat to get the final colour right. the tinted coat makes the organe red and starts to create more gloss. The final coat is a sealer/varnish. The process is as the poster above mentioned but the problem is the tinted mid coat - the system doesnt correlate t the real world. They spent alot of time getting this car right (It was the MD of the Alfa chain in NZs car!). In the end they got it very close and then had to blend through the A pillars and right the way down tapering through the rear doors (basically over half the car). I took the new test pot they mixed me from this new formulation and re touched up my chips and its more or less spot on - much different from the factory code and touch up pens...hope that helps
This is exactly what i'm expecting with my paint shop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts