Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldnt believe my luck the other day my wife agreed we could buy a brera and get back into alfa's! the day of the test drive came round today! and before i even turned the key i knew we wouldnt be able to have one!

what has alfa done to all the room inside?, the brera's arnt exatcly small cars but alfa seems to have found a way of using all the space up inside without putting anything other than 4 seats in?!?!?

NO leg room for anyone other than a child and no head room for even a child in the rear! and even upfront with the chair fully back i still felt Claustrophobic ! I am devastated about this! I don’t know why im even posting this! Im just disappointed I thought my dreams where going to come true!

I know coupe’s are not going to be the most practical car in the world, and we don’t have kids but we might as well buy a spider and just be done with the 2 seats!

We have also test driven a scirocco and that is a similar size but seems to have bags of room and head room in it, I could sit behind my wife and be comfortable in that!

I suppose I think it’s a shame more than anything that people will be put off, as I think more people should buy alfa’s instead of vw’s and audi’s as it is!

sorry if it seems like a rant but im so gutted, i was picturing myself driving it about to all the family's houses at christmas time etc! :(

thanks!

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have had 4 people in my Brera... they complained about the room, but I had plenty :D - Always have to replace the clips on the back of the seats though as they're always getting kicked off!!

As Top Gear say... don;t be fooled by those rear seats, unless you have the space requirements of Douglas Bader! :lol:

Douglas Bader - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
220 Posts
I always wanted a Brera and the wife too agreed as long as I could get the kids in it (we have 3, 4yrs old, 2 yrs old and 1), I didn't need to get her in it as well as she has an FR-V for the family. I was lucky enough to get a short term lease of a 2.4, if all went well I was going to buy a 3.2.

The sad fact was that I couldn't even get the kids in it comfortably never mind adults, I borrowed a friends GT (which is a 5 seater btw) which was the 3.2 and that would have worked but from some reason I felt I was going backwards (in hindsight a mistake) and I got a focus ST instead when the lease finished.

The real bug bear for me was the car was so heavy but had no space! I now have a 159 SW which isn't quite as dramatic but I feel is just as pretty (it's still a little tight in the back if I am honest but better than the Brera).

G

·
0 Posts
I would have a GT 3.2 V6 again in a flash but with a baby on the way I feel the 4 doors will be needed. Time will tell

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
We have also test driven a scirocco and that is a similar size but seems to have bags of room and head room in it, I could sit behind my wife and be comfortable in that!

I swapped from a Brera to a Scirroco, not for space reasons, but you are correct the Scirroco has loads more room inside than the Brera, can seat four adults comfortably.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I was also in the same boat ... having had a 156 for years for the past 10 years I was looking enviously at the Brera ... although with a wife and (too tall by half!) 9 year old daughter was struggling to justify it from a family perspective!

... anyhow, we found out with me in the drivers seat we could get my wife in the passenger seat and our daughter comfortably behind her (although no room for anyone behind the driver) ... and, if necessary, even my six foot frame could sit in the passenger seat with my daughter not too squashed behind!

... so we are now the proud owners of a Brera 2.4 JTD ... and my wife has even been known to use it on the school run with two schoolkids in the back! :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I think that looking for room in the Brera is like me hoping for an economic mpg ;)
It must be said that the boot is probably the biggest in the cathegory!

A.

·
Registered
220 Posts
That's true, I did manage to get a childs table and 2 chairs in there to take round a friends, when I turned up the first thing they said was 'oh you didn't manage to bring the table, don't worry' cue surprised faces when I took it out!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lol, mixed reviews then, i wouldnt be able to get anyone behind me comfortably either in driver or passenger seats! may have to wait for a used scirocco instead!

still gutted i like the GT's as well but i know what u mean about going backwards the inside is basically my old 147 :(

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I'm planning on amputating the kids below the knees when they get too large!

One kid in the front, and one behind seems to work fine for us. If four of us are going out we use the family car...

·
Registered
726 Posts
Get the sky view if you thought it was claustrophobic up front, I love the space in the front of mine :)

I'm never in the back seats of mine, so I don't know if they are any good.... :)

Funny story, when I first got mine I didn't realise that with the electric seats they would move back and forward automatically to let people in, so we went and picked up a couple we are friends with, the girl got in the back with these huge wedge shoes on. I put the seat back not realising, and oh how she screamed... The seat didn't seem to care it was killing her feet :) Ooooops :)
I felt so bad that I put my seat way forward, and for the rest of the trip, every time I let out the clutch I was sticking the cruise control on... :)

So yea, no room in back.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think Alfa would do well to put the space of the GT into a new coupe, if I could get kids seats in I would be in an alfa coupe in a flash!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
guys, guys... coupe' means "cut", we should actually get rid of the two back seats IMHO! If the Brera was just a real two seater and had rear wheel drive, we wouldn't need to walk anymore!! :D

A.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
True but then I wouldn't be allowed one :cry:
wouldn't be allowed?!?! When it comes to car you gotta show your attributes man!! :rant:
The missus/wife/partner can drive her utility wheelie bin if she wants/likes to, but da man drives a man's car! :D

A.

K

·
0 Posts
Just go for a 159 in ti spec.

Similar gorgeous styling with the bonus of added space.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts