Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The roof on my car is in need of a respray, especially the rear spoiler.

However, I'm broke, so can't throw the money at it.

I have been wondering about wrapping the roof in gloss black vinyl. The full roof, and the rear spoiler.

Now I know this is a bit marmite, but does anyone know of a 156 SW that has the roof a different colour to the body?

If so, does it look pleasant in the flesh?

I reckon fir the £30-£40 for a quality 3M sheet of vinyl, it'd be worth a go. And as it is big and flat, I reckon I could manage it myself.

Bit like this

http://www.ausalfa.com/viewtopic.php?t=5075&f=7

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I used 3m on the dash parts of the diesel a few years back. Thread in the general alfa discussion I think. I'd think carfully before doing the roof mate. SR did it to his brera and I think it peeled at te edges fairly quickly. Still worth a stab :thumbs:

·
Registered
708 Posts
I would not use carbon 3M. It looks too fake. But I would use black gloss vinyl on a red gloss car.
Would look like its painted not glued. Less fake look... But thats just me.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
If you are doing the roof only then its pretty straight forward as you mentioned its fairly flat. My suggestion is what ever the length your roof is,add an additional 1 metre as you don't want to fall short. Also you at least 20 cm along the edge to stretch the vinyl while removing the bubble or creases (aka fingers) with a squeegee (hard plastic) to push/remove the crease.

To make sure there is no lift on the edge as mentioned by Joss, my suggestion is to get headgun or hairdryer and heat up the edge while pressing/rubbing your finger across the heated vinyl area. What this does is make sure it seals the edge so it doesn't lift around the edge.

Here is a vid of the wrap https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv5DCUa6pD4

Here is a thread of the removal of the vinyl as I had to sell my TS to get a diesel. http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/motoring-images/444321-unwrapping-my-147-back-to-stock-colour.html.

As long as you use high quality vinyl then the body work should be in good condition. The only thing I would say that if you have any clear coat that is already peeling off on the roof then there is a chance that it will peal off when removing the vinyl but this should not be a problem if the body is in a good condition as you can see with mine on the pictures.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Think it would look great Andy - looking at pictures of your car I imagine you'll be fastidious about the fitting. Rushing it and insufficient prep produces the kind of results that puts the bulk of folk off the idea.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
That's a very good point Brett_GTA :thumbs: and I forgot to mention is prep. As long is its clean and use IPA (isopropyl alcohol) to clean then it will stick. Go for it Andy :thumbs:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Or proper grammar ;) It's "one of the few things", plural.
Oh wait, manners and grammar can be bought, in fact.

'It is one of the few things.' Is correct grammar.

The sentence suggests that there are a small pool of 'things' (plural) or items (again plural) that are impossible to purchase. Within this small pool of items (plural), one item named as 'manners' is identified. Manners is a collective noun for a group of positive social and written behaviours used to show respect to others and make them feel at ease. These qualities and behaviours are all put together, under the one overarching banner of 'manners' as a collective noun it is described as the singular because it cannot be split. One does not have a good manner. One has good manners. Or not.

The use of the word manner(singular), such as 'His manner was insulting and offensive.' Suggests a shortened form of mannerism.

Therefore - "One of the few things that you can't buy is manners." - Is spot on for this context.

I thank you.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
That's a very good point Brett_GTA :thumbs: and I forgot to mention is prep. As long is its clean and use IPA (isopropyl alcohol) to clean then it will stick. Go for it Andy :thumbs:
Too many IPA's Greene King IPA :: Age Verification
won't necessarily help the fitting procedure...:lol:

Give it a go Andy. If you don't like it...peel it off:thumbs:

·
Banned
158 Posts
'It is one of the few things.' Is correct grammar.

The sentence suggests that there are a small pool of 'things' (plural) or items (again plural) that are impossible to purchase. Within this small pool of items (plural), one item named as 'manners' is identified. Manners is a collective noun for a group of positive social and written behaviours used to show respect to others and make them feel at ease. These qualities and behaviours are all put together, under the one overarching banner of 'manners' as a collective noun it is described as the singular because it cannot be split. One does not have a good manner. One has good manners. Or not.

The use of the word manner(singular), such as 'His manner was insulting and offensive.' Suggests a shortened form of mannerism.

Therefore - "One of the few things that you can't buy is manners." - Is spot on for this context.

I thank you.
You are not right, I'm afraid.

Here is how it goes.
"One of the few thing that you can't buy are manners." is all wrong.
The correct formulation would be "one of the few things that you can't buy is manners". Also, money can buy manners, as I already said.
Regardless, I got the point.

To get back on track, having the roof vinyl wrapped in gloss black is not a bad idea and not chavvy, but using the fake carbon foil is another matter, it would look awful if you ask me. In fact, I don't see any situation where the fake carbon foil would look better than...anything.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts