Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've got a 156 GTA SW and am looking to retro-fit roof rails. I need them so I can carry around ladders, my bike, top box and other bits and pieces.

A normal roof rack destroys the rubber door seals and doesn't look right imo.

There doesn't seem to be any reinforcement in SW with rails fitted from the factory and the rails bolt in from the top so no need to drop the roof lining. There will be 4 holes drilled into the roof per side and rivnuts used to secure the rails with bolts.

My question is if I go ahead and fit the roof rails will it have an affect on the re-sale value of the car? I must admit that I am slightly nervous about drilling holes into the roof.

Perhaps I should sell it and buy a car with rails as standard? Trouble is, I really don't want to.

Opinions would be great, cheers.

Ben

Ben

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I would like to do the same, no one has really answered whether it can just be bolted on, or is there something required, on an eBay advert on a breaking sw it stated for buyer to check if fitments present on car?. I asked parts guy at dealer but didn't seem 100% sure. I don't care about resale just want to know nothing will get damaged.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Hi guys it can be done, I've done it! Simples with the rivnuts! But make sure you use a slightly under size drill and file out the holes so the rivnuts fit tight!
You'll need to put some zinc primer on the bare metal and a bit of silicone round the bolt holes for when the rack is bolted down!

The factory roof bar equipped car does have roof reinforcement front and rear, the normal SW's have this reinforcement on the rear but not the front!

All depends on how much weight your carrying/ upwards wind drag on load on rack!!

I'll post up some pics of mine............. photobucket is a bit slow!

·
Registered
237 Posts
ok here are some pics all measurements are from center of the holes to the edge of the roof skin/rubber seal edge!

·
Registered
237 Posts
You'll need to use the flush fitting rivnuts though or the rails sit on the raised part of the other type of rivnut rather than on the roof panel!

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Excellent, I'll let the bodyshop fit it when I get it sprayed, I'm gonna hunt down a set, saw I set on eBay will check if still available.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Sorry wouldn't do this to a GTA unless you never plan to sell it again otherwise it might devalue the car
If it were a valuable vehicle then sure don't mess with it, but at the values these are worth now and going forwards, I don't think it would make any noticeable difference to value at all. Better to make the car as useful for you as possible, rather than maybe have to sell it for something more practical/better fit for purpose.

Would be interested to see how they fit and look. Would it be too hard to put some support plates in the front?

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you do go for it, I'd get the rails recoated - the black finish flakes off over time, & looks dreadful. I'd considered having ours done to match the aluminium front door handles, never got round to it before we sold it, though.
(I'm with the "don't on GTA" party, unless you can absolutely replicate the standard fit, which involves a lot of work; with less than 100 left in the UK, they're already becomming sought after...)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
if it was a low mileage minter i wouldnt touch it, but its going to be with me till the end and want to make as usefull as possible.

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Sorry wouldn't do this to a GTA unless you never plan to sell it again otherwise it might devalue the car
Lets be honest here. Who buys an alfa and worries about what it is worth? :lol:

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers Pete,

I don't want to sell the car as it's the best I have ever owned. The rack will only ever carry approx 30kg's max so I'm hoping it will cope. It also adds a different dimension to the car. I think i'll have them powder coated silver to off set the door handles.

Ben

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
with less than 100 left in the UK, they're already becomming sought after...)
I've had mine for sale for approx three weeks and have only had two calls about, both time wasters. They are not sought after in the current economic climate.

Ben

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Just to add I don't think mine will be a sought after example when I've finished with it, but I will like it :)

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
That's a really nice offer, Im in Solihull, Birmingham. Need to source them first, there's a pair for 100 delevered but trying to see if I can get cheaper. The car will defo be going to the bodyshop as I have 2 new wings to go on and prob a full respray, with ur guidance I'm hopping it won't be to much of an issue. Or can get the fitted first which ever works out. Will defo let u know if I need any help :). Once the bodywork is sorted I'll move on to getting engine back to its former glory and then the interior. Its done 120k so am hoping to renew as many tired looking parts as possible.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Lets be honest here. Who buys an alfa and worries about what it is worth? :lol:
Well I've brought both my GTA's when they were six months old, first one was in 2003 when GTAs were quite an expensive car with very only a little saving.

So a few years ago we purchased a newish VW touran thought recently about changing it - well had a valuation on that and it looks like I've lost more money on that in two years than I've ever lost on any Alfa!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts