Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hiya all, im sure this is one of those questions thats been asked a ka-drillion times, but please help with images and even slides or answers on apostcode - press the button on the car to retract the roof.works 1st part, back quarter goes up , windows go down about 4 inches, red light comes on then stops !!

how the frick do i correct this , is it the hydrolic motor ?
how do you check and fill it up ?
can ya show me with a piccie where it is, i think its behind the passenger seat in the cubbie hole ?

its driving me :cry::confused::rant::eek:............mad !!

·
Registered
942 Posts
Hi Fruit loops. This sounds like the same issue I had last year. It seems that the spindle in the motor can snap. This spindle connects to a plate the connects two latches holding down the rear clam shell. When the spindle turns it pulls the latches open meaning the clam shell is locked / unlocked and can be pushed open by the hydraulics.

Open the cubby behind the seats and remove the inner carpeting. In the middle is the motor. If it is the spindle that is snapped then you should see the plate I am talking about hanging loose rather than attached to the motor!! See the thread here where I traced the issue... I had to take the motor out and I got a local guy I know to weld the spindle back together. Only cost a fiver. I know these bits are rare and you might have difficulty finding a new or s/h bit...

Let us know how you get on. Thread below:
http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-gtv-and-916-spider/393561-another-plea-for-help-roof-cover-wont-lock.html
Good luck.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
We used to joke that Alfa should have provided a pin hammer embossed with the Alfa logo to keep in the cubby hole to tap the motor with they stick prior to total failure..

·
Registered
942 Posts
We used to joke that Alfa should have provided a pin hammer embossed with the Alfa logo to keep in the cubby hole to tap the motor with they stick prior to total failure..
Having to do that with mine at the minute...!!

·
Registered
954 Posts
So you are saying the windows go down a bit and then the rear window section of the hood goes up and then nothing?
If so it is not the hydraulics as the rear window is raised hydraulically.
The next in the sequence is the clamshell locks release and then it opens hydraulically.
If the clamshell does not unlock then it is probably the electric motor sticking, in which case a couple of taps while pushing the switch frees it off.
This motor is located behind the cubby lining and is attached to the rear bulkhead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
guys

thank you all so very much i shall take a look, hit it with said hammer if required, weld it if required or take it on the chin as needed !!!
fingers crossed its the 1st option as i have a wide selection of hammers for the job ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
right then, update..................problemo solved, alfa romeo approaved HAMMER used to gently help with some friendly tapping to the motor and bobs ya anuties live in lover - all is fine in rag top land again !!!
hurrah for the hammer

·
Registered
280 Posts
Wow, lucky I'd read this thread the other day about the hammer. Had exactly this issue today. Hammer sorted it. Thanks guys!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts