Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you found/purchased more streamlined roof bars than the normal ones? All the ones I have found seem to stick up a mile of the car. I'm going to France and I want to stay under the 1.85m height restriction as travelling with family but I'm sure with the standard bars I'm over height. I was fine in my baby beemer but the Giulietta seems a few inches taller.

Any recommendations would be great received, thanks

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Hi Storer. I picked up a set of the internet from ****'s garage. Not the most stylish but they are rock solid and I had a roofbox on top too.
Had no problems on the Eurotunnel with this set up, probably just over the 1.85m height.

I'll dig out a picture or two them on the car. Can't seem to find a button to attach them from my tablet.

Julian

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok thanks that's great news. What size box were you using? I've got a medium sized halfords 420 I think it's called.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Pictures as promised

The box was one I borrowed off a mate, so don't know exact dimensions but it was over 6 feet long as it took all the fishing rods for me and my brother. These are 6 feet when in 2 pieces.

Here's where I got them from (Sorry about the long link!!) Roof Bars - Roof Racks - Car Roof Bars - Roof Rails | MicksGarage

Julian

Attachments

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
One thing to note with the box I had on the bars, was that the spoiler on the boot hit the end of the box and the boot lid didn't open that far! It was easier to load the car, then put the box on. But when you arrive anywhere you have to unload the box and take it off, then unload the boot!

No matter how many times you think about it you always bang the spoiler!! :censored:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Julian. That's very helpful. Box looks at similar height to mine.

To be honest it's a good excuse to get my Giulietta lowered a bit :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to jump in on this thread but I to have found roof bars from said link but worried that they might scratch the roof as this is the first car I have had that has not got rails. Did you have any problems with them sitting in the paint and causing any damage.
:paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid:

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I had the same worries but there were no marks on the car after using them.

I did put some insulating tape around the bits that screw in to the roof. But that was me being ultra precautious. I didn't need to do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same worries but there were no marks on the car after using them.

I did put some insulating tape around the bits that screw in to the roof. But that was me being ultra precautious. I didn't need to do it.
Did you have the roof mounts in the roof or did the fittings fit into the holes just inside doors.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I have the ones that fit with screws just inside the dorrs.

The ones I bought need to get adjusted to fit when you first use then but once done they stay to the right shape. They are also different for front and back. But it's obvious when you get them as they are marked F and R.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
No problem. Hope you like them.

They take a bit of setting up in the first instance. But choose a sunny day, stick on the radio and just take your time.

Julian

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Sorry to jump in on this thread but I to have found roof bars from said link but worried that they might scratch the roof as this is the first car I have had that has not got rails. Did you have any problems with them sitting in the paint and causing any damage.
:paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid::paranoid:
And has anyone fitted them to a Matt finish car? I'm worried about them leaving marks which obviously can't just be polished out!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
And has anyone fitted them to a Matt finish car? I'm worried about them leaving marks which obviously can't just be polished out!
I have the genuine Alfa Roof bars fitted to my Matt GQV. I haven't had any problems so far. You have to be careful when fitting but all the contact bits have rubber or padding.

I actually prefer the look of the genuine roof bars.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I have the genuine Alfa Roof bars fitted to my Matt GQV. I haven't had any problems so far. You have to be careful when fitting but all the contact bits have rubber or padding.

I actually prefer the look of the genuine roof bars.
Awesome, cheers :thumbup:

I've got a set of the genuine ones from my previous (shiny) Giulietta.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I do too, but for the amount of times I use the bars it wasn't worth the extra expense.

I bought mine in July last year and have used them once since I bought them.

J

1 - 20 of 22 Posts