Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am a newbie just looking for some advice on my *****. Its a 1999 Lusso Gtv. It just passed its mot 2 days ago. I drove it home ok then the next day went to the shops and it would not start up! It jump starts ok, I took it a drive to try and charge the battery up. The next morning it wont start again. I have checked the interior lights to make sure they are all switching off incase they are draining the battery. Can any shed some light...it may well be something very simple that I am overlooking....Thanks Donna

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ha ha, should check my spelling next time!:eek:

Hi 2spark, the keycode light is not staying on and it is not turning over. It turns over once jumped start but when left it goes dead again? Any help appreciated thanks

·
0 Posts
(1) test the condition of the battery to see if it is capable of holding a charge, (2) check the output of the charging system to see if it is functioning properly, and (3) if the battery and charging system are okay, check for a possible current drain on the battery when the key is off. In other words, if the battery is okay and the charging system is doing its job, then something is draining voltage from the battery and running it down when the key is off.

One way to check the battery is to recharge it, then let it sit for a day with both battery cables disconnected. If the battery holds the charge and doesn't run down, it's probably okay, and the problem is in your charging system or wiring.

To see if the charging system is working properly, start the car and turn on the headlights. If the headlights are dim, it indicates the lights are running off the battery and that little or no juice is being produced by the alternator. If the lights get brighter as you rev the engine, it means the alternator is producing some current, but may not be producing enough at idle to keep the battery properly charged. If the lights have normal brightness and don't change intensity as the engine is revved, your charging system is functioning normally.

You can also check the charging system by connecting the leads of a voltmeter to the battery. When the engine starts, the charging voltage should jump to about 14.5 or higher. If the reading doesn't change or rises less than a volt, you have a charging problem that will require further diagnosis.

If the battery and charging system seem to be working normally, the only thing that's left is the electrical system. If the battery runs down overnight or when the vehicle sits for several days, it means something is remaining on and drawing current when the ignition is turned off. It may be a trunk light or cigarette lighter that remains on all the time, a fuel pump relay or other relay with frozen contacts that's drawing current, a rear window defroster that doesn't shut off, or a short in the radio or other electrical accessory.

Courtesy of google:D

Or it could be something as simple as leaving the stereo on like I did:eek:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Ronan

well thats certainly how to get off to a bad start!

I am thinking about removing the battery and charging for 24hrs, My car has been off the road for 5 months prior to its MOT...so perhaps it just needs a good charge. I will also check the crank sensors, thanks. I read another post with similar problems and the crank sensor as mentioned several times.

Thanks for your help

Donna

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent 2spark very helpful, I have checked all the extras like lighting and stereo and interior boot light...but the info about charging the battery up is great, I will try this and post the outcome. When I jump start it the hazards start to flash and the battery light on the dash board comes on then cuts off.

·
Registered
5,064 Posts
Donna

Welcome to the Al(ph)fa fold.......oops,sorry !!.......they hate under charged batteries....get a new one.....the not turning over isn't a crank sensor problem,it does turn over but doesn't start.

A nice new battery,hopefully should do the trick.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He he thanks Ronan, I will try charging it for 24hrs then if that does not do the trick I will get a new battery.

Donna

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,359 Posts
Scratch that. Starts ok when jumped but discharges overnight, usually means a dead battery or alternator is shagged

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Donna problem is either battery not holding any charge or altinator not charging battery in 1 st place if it starts ok with jump start i would check altinator first if that works then battery is the way to go.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for everyones advice...unfortunatly after charging the battery over night my car starting up ok but soon after a drive the power ran out again....so I took the battery to halfords and they told me I needed a new battery, purchased this went out for the day and after about 30 mins of driving my car starting to jump again as if there is no power and then it cut out. I have a mechanic coming over tomorrow with a volt meter to try find out the issue.

Donna

·
0 Posts
When I had my GTV I disconnected all the interior courtesy lights. Done the trick:)

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
When I had my GTV I disconnected all the interior courtesy lights. Done the trick:)
or you could try to find the fault.........

1 - 20 of 28 Posts