Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My handbrake's been freezing on so I've been parking the car on our sloping drive in gear with a couple of bricks as backup. Today I kicked the bricks away from the wheels and popped back in the house for a couple of minutes. When I came back out the car had rolled down the drive a bit:eek:
It was still in reverse so I tried it in 1st. The car still rolled in "steps" every few seconds. I've never had a car do this before in gear. Our drive is only a gentle slope as well. I always thought that leaving a car in gear was a backup to the handbrake. Judging by this, it's a waste of time unless there's something wrong with my car! Any ideas if this is normal? Cheers

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
I always use handbrake and left in gear so I have never considered it but cylinders are not a perfect seal. The compressed air will slowly leak past the ring end gaps and allow the engine to turn over. Remember it is only the trapped air that is preventing the engine turning. That is assuming that the cause isn't the clutch slipping, but if it was slipping that badly I think you would definitely notice it when driving.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I always leave mine in second gear: it saved my front bumper from further damage when a colleague at work reversed into it!

·
Registered
146 Posts
i don't have any 'run away' car issues. i have problem with the handbrake freezing therefore i always leave it in gear. never turned over, not once, and of course car is not in a leveled driveway. but it is not very steep either. It is steep enough that two 'average' men cannot push the car upwards by their own strength but three men can! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts