Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have got a few snags with my lovely 58 147 1.9!

At the moment I'm contemplating driving it off the nearest cliff! But I'm hoping someone can help me before I lose my mind with it?

Recently I have noticed a slight vibration when accelerating. It seems to originate from the passenger front. It was slight at first but now it's horrible! It feels like the whole car is shaking as soon as I go above 40mph on any road type. But not through the steering wheel so much but more the bottom of the seats.

I do have a slight buckle on that alloy but I have had it checked today and it no worse than it was a year ago when it was first spotted.

Today I have had both front tyres re-balanced but the problem still remains, howevere looking around all the posts I tried the clutch disengage test and I'm afraid to say as soon as I disengage the clutch no vibration!!

MOT was last month and all passed with no advisories.

I also have a problem with the gear lever sticking, again upon searching around I have seen it could be the bushes needing to be changed. Could this be related to the vibration issue? Sorry I'm not mechanically minded at all, I'm reluctant to take to a garage first off to diagnose as they could tell me anything! A lot of garages around here won't even look at it and say go back to Alfa!

I have also had a new Cam Belt fitted last month as well as a new clutch and dual mass flywheel fitted when the thrust bearing went about 9 months ago? Could this be related?

Sorry for the what looks like a massive whinge but any help would be grand! And save an Alfa from a long drop of a steep cliff!

Hope you all have had a good Xmas and have a good new year!

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
bushes on selector willl have nothing to do with the problem
on first read it sounds like a tyre out of shape but one further reading im not sure, if that wheel is buckled have u hit something hard with it?
cam belt and clutch will also not cause shaking like u suggest
id still be tempted to jack the car up and spin the wheel looking carefully at to of tyre to see if it moves up and down as it spins

hope some others will have other ideas

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
No I haven't I now suspect after reading posts of a similar issue it may well be that?

Can I check it? Would it have been checked on MOT?

Cheers
Grab the driveshaft and give it a wiggle!
If there is excessive play you'll know it needs replacing. If the problem is worse when turning then I'd suspect a CV joint. Have a look at the CV boot while you're under the car, if it's split and grit and other dirt has got in there it will have forced the grease out and damaged the joint.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I take it to a garage and asked for this all to be checked what should I e looking at worst case scenario o you think?

Thank you all or your replies! Lots of things in the mix and I just don't have a clue where or what they are!

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Clutch, flywheel and drive shafts seem to be common issues. -

Sounds like your drive shaft (spider and cup is on its way out)........its a really nasty vibration. Not a cheap fix I am afraid.

Take the shaft off and send it to driveshaft uk... £170 ish. Or order a new cup and shaft ans spider from Alfa Shop. Change them both at the same time.....and you may beed wheel alignment after...its a cheap fix....Also you might find its the drivers side.

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
Jack the car up, please use axel stand!

The you will see a bar coming from the centre of the wheel running along the back under the engine. Its the shaft the makes the wheels turn. Grab and wiggle....they will move side to side but should should not really move up and down.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The buckle was there when I got the car I just didn't know until I had all the tyres changed last time and they moved that tyre from the back to the front.

Should I change it back do you think?

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
The buckle was there when I got the car I just didn't know until I had all the tyres changed last time and they moved that tyre from the back to the front.

Should I change it back do you think?
I think you should just get it sorted! Fixing it has the potential to save you some money later on, leaving has the potential to cost you (and it may have already).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts