Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BTW, that lack of roll cage in the Spider worries me.
I had an accident (terrible), I might post about it, on a MB 190E, I was going over 200kph when my brakes failed, and the car flipped over a few time before landing on its roof. I left the scene unharmed. The car was beyond destroyed, but protected me all the way.

Is there a way to put a roll cage in it?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
i wouldnt fit a cage, i would fit rollover hoops behind the headrest, which can be bought from alfa...

although im not sure how strong the windscreen frame is which i wouldnt know how to strengthen

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
roll hoops eh...hmmm...but if there's barely any space for a deflector, then where would these hoops go?
i have to say, you do kind of think twice before any truly spirited driving when you know thats your neck's on the line :eek: (almost too literally)
any ideas alfisti/spideristi?

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
BTW, that lack of roll cage in the Spider worries me.
I had an accident (terrible), I might post about it, on a MB 190E, I was going over 200kph when my brakes failed, and the car flipped over a few time before landing on its roof. I left the scene unharmed. The car was beyond destroyed, but protected me all the way.

Is there a way to put a roll cage in it?
Roll cage in a Spider. That's a tough one.

Perhaps buy a GTV with a sunroof :confused:;):lol:

P

·
0 Posts
Hoops would be as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

A full rollcage would also look awful!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
alfa sell rollover hoops, which is 2 silver hoops that go behind each seat, surely they wouldnt make rollover hoops that dont protect you when you rollover?

P

·
0 Posts
As far as I'm aware the hoops are purely for decoration. I wouldn't want to balance my car on them, never mind expect them to stop me from getting crushed if the car flipped.

I'll drive a little slower I think :)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
i just want a few more days on 4 wheels driving please before i flip it...no...im never going to flip it...or id go from this:D to this:cry: ..if my head was still on that is...:eek:
oh dear...no more ben and jerrys......no,i...no speeding for me then..:p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hoops would be as useful as a chocolate fireguard.

A full rollcage would also look awful!
agreed!!!

......and the alfa accesssories catalogue that came with my spider states that the hoops do NOT offer roll over protection and are for aestetics only.

......plus IMO (along with the albeit useful wind deflector) spoil the shape of the car!

·
Registered
77 Posts
i ride a bike as well as drive a car, if i worried about falling off all the time then id pack it in, an i have gone " high side" on one occasion an yes did visit the hospital, which is embarrasing as im a paramedic and it was the hospital i normally take people too... ive seen lots of badly smashed cars an the drivers sitting in police cars when i turn up...
go out an drive these alfas. its what they are made for, life aint a dress rehearsal( and no i dont advocate wanton speed) but fun can still be had sensibly:)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I guess I didn't mean literally a roll cage. I agree that would kill the looks of the car.
I just thought it apalling that Alfa didn't think of a protection device for your head, shoud it come to the worst.
DevonDan reported a weird accident, and he didn't flip by miracle.
He wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, it just happened.

Even "nasty" BMW and Mercs have auto flip hoops that come straight up when the car is flipping.

Anyways, I makes you think twice before really testing the limits on the Spider.
I also, was checking in a Web page, (Autodelta or something), about a solid roof that you can put on a Spider, and it looks just like a GTV. Don't know if it adds any protection though...

P

·
0 Posts
The solid roofs are made of fibre glass. It would offer slightly more protection, but would certainly disintegrate in a crash me thinks.

Learn to duck :lol:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Agreed !!! :lol:

·
Registered
35 Posts
i think you in the event of a roll over you should be protected anyway. pretty sure there are regs regarding the design of soft top cars. i think the windscreen surrounds have to be toughened so they keep you from being crushed. if you draw an imaginary line from top of the windscreen to highest point on the back somewhere as if it was upside down i think you'll find you head is protected. seem to remember being told about this when i had an mgf which is 1 of the reasons the mg is high on the back so the geometry works out. how much rolling and crashing the screen has to take is another question :S

1 - 20 of 53 Posts