Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Should Tradesmen be made to register with a professional body to eliminate Cowboys?

• Yes

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • No

Votes: 2 15.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With a new series of Rogue Traders starting tonight do you think that all Tradesmen i.e. (Electricians, Builders, Carpenters, Painters and Decorators) should by Law be made to register with a professional body to eliminate the Cowboys?

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Re: Rouge Traders.

We knew what sid meant, so we do not belittle on AO, and spare the blushes. Anyway, I hope the schisters go skint, and as the economic downturn takes real effect, maybe those that have not been excessive borrowers, just might be able to get a good job done, with payment in full from our savings, for quality work. Live in hopes I does.:):

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

It would be too much hassle to make them all train, apply for qualifications and register. Training companies are even more of a rip-off than the cowboy builders and professional bodies are even worse.

Sometimes you don't need a fully qualified craftsman, sometimes all you need is a quick fix because you can't be bothered to do it yourself.

IMO the public should be more savvy when it comes to hiring people in. Us lot here like to research garages in our area, get the best deal, make sure the bloke working on your Alfa knows what he's doing, we gather recommendations if we care about our cars. Why not do the same with people that fix our house?

·
Registered
733 Posts

Just about every tradesman (for want of a better term) I employ was a recommendation from some other I've used, and I look on many of them as friends. 'My' electrician was recommended by my plumber, my IT man was recommended by my decorator and so on, and all have been excellent. If a trusted professional passes on the name of another in a different trade, you pretty much know they are going to be OK. Interesting thing though, not one of the tradesman I use has ever needed to advertise, they get all of their work from recommendations from satisfied customers and fellow professionals, and as far as I know, not a single one of them belongs to a trade or professional body of any kind, I doubt if many of them even have formal qualifications, but they all do a good job.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

as a tradesman a topic i might actually be able to put some positive input to

yes we / they should - people often go for the cheapest quote and then wonder why they get poor workmanship you get what you pay for

also there is already lots of bodies / companys such as the federation of masterbuilders

word of mouth is best though cos friends will tell you if they have had quality work done or not

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Federation of master...what?! :wow:

.... oh I see, builders!

A lot of these professional bodies are a rip-off for what you get out of them, some letters after your name? I'm paying over £200 a year for membership of the IMechE to retain a chartered engineer status and all I get is a crappy magazine every couple of months. The institution knows how to make money.

To be honest, a recommendation is worth a lot more than professional registration. The blokes down my local garage are cracking and I've never bothered to check their credentials and don't really care how many NVQs or whatnot they've got between them, good job for a good price. However the CORGI registered central heating guys we found through the yellow pages were hopeless, failed to get the right bits, re-visit after re-visit, constant angling for more work off us.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Fair Point Dibby , But I would advise against using any non CORGI Gas fitters. Its not just a Bit of a repair job if Gas fitting goes wrong more of a rebuild.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Hell yeah, for house insurance, building regs and all gas technicians have to be CORGI registered, just goes to show professional registration doesn't stop shoddy workmanship, those 2 blokes pretty much paid for the paper qualification and a nice sticker on their van.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts

In theory yes, but a lot of trade body's just charge £300 a year to join and are no guarantee of quality. As Dibby said.
As a qualified electrician in a previous job (supervision of gas fitters) I had to do the basic Corgi exam and practical test. I passed with flying colours with no practical experiance but two old school gas fitters both with decades of experience failed.
I know who I would rather have changing my meter.

·
Registered
42,287 Posts

Need to have attended Berufs Schule in Deutschland for trades qualifications. Remember that Grand Designs programmme? The Werk Meister made them take parts down and redo them. Attention to detail, Germanic Style?:lol:

·
Banned
4,522 Posts

Absolutely. The eco. downturn may bring the decent, honest, tradesmen to the fore, once more.:):
Funny you should say that, the firm I work for none of us are 'qualified' and yet were doing ok, the ones that have the paper are all going under :lol:

But in my 'profession' there are a hell of a lot of cowboys/gypo's so maybe it would be a good thing to help eliminate them. Having said that, a lot of people want the cheapest quotes and so you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

·
Registered
17,658 Posts

Federation of master...what?! :wow:

.... oh I see, builders!

A lot of these professional bodies are a rip-off for what you get out of them, some letters after your name? I'm paying over £200 a year for membership of the IMechE to retain a chartered engineer status and all I get is a crappy magazine every couple of months. The institution knows how to make money.

To be honest, a recommendation is worth a lot more than professional registration. The blokes down my local garage are cracking and I've never bothered to check their credentials and don't really care how many NVQs or whatnot they've got between them, good job for a good price. However the CORGI registered central heating guys we found through the yellow pages were hopeless, failed to get the right bits, re-visit after re-visit, constant angling for more work off us.
:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

I totally agree.

Corgis?.... weren't they a sort of expensive Dinky toy?... or maybe Dogs.... Yes.... sounds about right :rolleyes:

[As I've probably said in many other threads]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts