Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I have a 54 plate 1.9 jtd. There is a roaring noise coming from the front of the car when going along - becomes louder once I'm going over 30mph (sounds like the old starship enterprise going into warp!!).
Thought it was offside front wheel bearing, so changed that (what a faff!). Made no difference.
Can't feel anything through the steering.

Also, had new front tyres fitted recently.

Any ideas what this noise is?

Thanks as ever

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Whooshing noise that increases with speed..?

Doesn't sound like a wheel bearing to me I reckon its a split in the top hose.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll go and have a check - hadn't thought about that.
Noise is more like a droning/humming - only time I've heard similar before (in a different car) is when a wheel bearing had gone.

·
Registered
780 Posts
I had a similar noise in my TS GTV and suspected a wheel bearing and it actually turned out to be the power steering pump. So check the fluid level! I had a slow leak in the steering rack which was causing the power steering fluid to need to be topped up every 12 months or so and as it had gotten low, it developed a sound similar to that of a wheel bearing. May not be your issue but its something easy to check :thumbup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats another good point - earlier in the year there was a squeak/squeal noise coming from a pulley on the drive belt. But recently it has gone and i thought i was ok (foolish i know!!!).
Will check fluid levels.

Cheers

·
Registered
261 Posts
Well if it only makes the noise when you're driving along it's not gonna be the pas pump. If the engine sounds normal when you're stationary I'd still say it sounds like a wheel bearing. You didn't mention the bearing on the near side- have you looked at that/ checked for roughness when you turn that wheel? If it started when you had the tyres changed, check that they haven't put one on back to front as most modern tyres will hand an arrow to show the direction of travel. Depending on the tread pattern a backwards tyre could make a funny noise. Unless you're positive it's coming from the front, I'd check the rear wheel bearings too. My two pennies worth ?

·
Registered
780 Posts
Well if it only makes the noise when you're driving along it's not gonna be the pas pump. If the engine sounds normal when you're stationary.
PAS pump didn't make noise while stationary in my car. Only when driving and particularly when turning, hence thinking it was a wheel bearing. So just because it doesn't make noise while stationary doesn't rule out a leak in the PAS system. Though it is unlikely that that is OPs issue. Just threw it out there and something easy to check off the list :thumbup:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed when i changed the front discs a couple of days ago that there was a mild grinding noise when i spun the front nearside wheel. Was a much 'harsher' noise then the offside front. Will change the bearing anyway.
Cheers everyone

·
Registered
36 Posts
I changed both front bearings on an old Mitsubishi Shogun years ago as I was convinced it would cure the rumbling noise I was getting in corners. It didn't but 2 new tyres did!?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi all - replaced nearside front bearing and hub flange. All is quiet and i no longer need my radio on at ludicrous volume.
Cheers all

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Hi all - replaced nearside front bearing and hub flange. All is quiet and i no longer need my radio on at ludicrous volume.
Cheers all
Well done. Out of interest do you have access to a press or do you have some other method?

All the best

Pub

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't have a press, afraid i cheated and bought the ready pressed bearing and flange of ebay.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts