Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's house backs onto land and the farm house is at the end of a short drive off his road. There is no gate but the farmer thinks it's ok to let his two border collies run free. They often come into the street and virtually run amok in gardens etc. Previously one of his cats came home badly mauled but there was no proof it was the dogs. Today one of them got into my son's back garden and into his pet rabbit run. Luckily he got there in time and chased the dog away but the bunny is badly frightened. The police have been told about about the problem but couldn't be less interested. So, who in authority would be interested. At the minute we are struggling to stop our son from taking things into his own hands as he is seething with anger (not a happy prospect for dog or farmer TBH).

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about that too but I didn't see how it comes under their remit. What about environmental health at the local council. They were brilliant for us when we had trouble with dogs barking near us.
I suppose the answers are obvious really, sometimes AO is good place to let off steam by writing things down.:)

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
If it was your dog on the farmers land he would shoot it......one rule for them and sod the rest......:tut:

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it was your dog on the farmers land he would shoot it......one rule for them and sod the rest......:tut:
Interesting thought, it was worrying my son's animal after all. :rolleyes: Problem is my son is an animal lover he would have to be pretty desperate to hurt the dogs.:)

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
RSPCA

The dogs should not be allowed to run free

Shows lack of duty and care as a pet owner, which us where the RSPCA step in

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
Sorry, also their dog attacked your sobs rabbit, which is against the dangerous dogs act, isn't it? Certainly in public against a pet (nit a wild rabbit, for instance)

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
Interesting thought, it was worrying my son's animal after all. :rolleyes: Problem is my son is an animal lover he would have to be pretty desperate to hurt the dogs.:)
Sorry one double six.....I wasnt suggesting your son should harm the dog, just an observasion that farmers seem to be able to make their own rules.....

·
Registered
10,019 Posts
Sorry, also their dog attacked your sobs rabbit, which is against the dangerous dogs act, isn't it? Certainly in public against a pet (nit a wild rabbit, for instance)
Sorry, just to quote that for posterity :lol:

==============================

Carry on :thumbs:

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So that would make it a police matter surely? If the dog's were to attack a child the police would surely come under fire for ignoring reports from at least 2 local residents that have called them. One visit is all it would take but they just can't be bothered.

·
Super Moderator
916 Spider P1 Lusso
9,446 Posts
I don't think that the RSPCA will be interested. It's more a matter for the Dog Wardens who are council run.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I have a dog myself, always have had, I also used to live on a farm where we had all of the animals that go with that life.
If I was your son I would tell the farmer about his dogs, and let him know that if he doesn't start to control them he will be reported to the dog warden. If he is not an arable farmer he gets his living from animals, so he cannot afford to be charged with owning out of control animals, If he is an arable farmer he would still get a bad name amongst the local farming comunity, which would be bad for business.

Mick.

·
Registered
5,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My son made a few calls today. No dog warden in our town, council don't want to know. Police still not interested. So looks like the RSPCA is the last resort :(.
I hope the guy co operates after a further chat or there will need to be a society for prevention of cruelty to arrogant *****.

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Bear traps? :evil:

*no animals were harmed posting the above ;) *

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
I concur with double, if the dogs are not kept under control, its a police matter. If it were in my borough, the dog wardens would certainly sort it.

·
Registered
10,889 Posts
Its a long lobg (Kipper quote fur posterity typo ..glass hoose etc etc) time ago and the rules and regs have long changed and noo I am retired you can guess the rest.

in Scotland any person can apply to the District Court to make an order compelling the owner of a dog to keep it under control etc etc etc.
Not sure if similar provision in England.

However from also from a long time ago ..working dogs do not require to wear a collar..up there wie exceptions like works truck invalid carriages and land locomotives in the RTA or whatever its changed too noo..

But reminds me of a story an Inspector told me that in the auld Burgh days cops (when they were paid a pittance) would receive a bounty of a shilling for each stray dog they took to the station...the folk that came out of shops to discover a lead and no dog..No stray dogs in those days...Now the polis are so well paid so well educated and trained and the stray dogs run wild and mulitiply...like rabbits....Phone the polis (Snowman..snow mah problem) get thro to problem solving and then get told its another agencies problem.

My old training (Completely un PC now because thon wee guy in the train wood huv bean oot the windae never mind the door and if his faither complained he'd have got the same.) says huv a word wie the farmer outlining the problem and if it achieves nowt,,,well see what is what in your area nowadays.

HTH
Pomeo

1 - 20 of 21 Posts