Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.. Im thinking about driving my alfa 145 down to Spain(through France), approx 1500 miles each way.

Been chatting to some mates about this who think im crazy, the cars done 90k and is a 1.6.

Surely a full service including new coolant, brake fluid etc should be all thats needed.

The car is rock solid at the ton, could it do this for prolonged periods of time?

Cheers all, any opinions/advice welcome

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
Should have no problems at all. I used to go to Italy (same sort of distance) all the time in my 1400cc Tipo in the mid nineties, including the Swiss mountain passes with 3 people and stuffed full of luggage and goodies. Once had a problem with boiling brake fluid on the way down of the St Gottard pass but apart from that it was fine.:)

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Should be no problems, just make sure like you say its all topped-up properly.
took my 155Q4 to near Barcelona last year, drove it all around the area and back again, did nearly 3k in 12 days, never missed a beat.
Oh and the roads are just so much better.

plus it was so nice having my steering wheel on the correct side for a change !

(but get euro breakdown just in case, trust me you`ll regret it if you dont have it :cry: )

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Go for it! As long as you are confident in the reliability of your car don't worry about it.

I've been driving down to the south of France for years and find that Alfas seem to love the French motorways. I've driven 2 33's a 146 and my current 156 without any problems. Just make sure you've got adequate cover.

Not sure that driving at 100 for long periods is a good idea tho'.

:)

·
Super Moderator
44,743 Posts
I almost did the trip to Austria in my 145, but I bought a Fiat COupe before I could manage it. Echo the above, make sure everything is topped up, tyres in good condition etc. I'd take a 1 litre bottle of oil in the boot too and check the level every couple of days if you're doing the mileage over a very short period of time.
Euro breakdown isn't a bad idea for your peace of mind too, and it's not ridiculously expensive (especially compared to the amount you'll be spending on fuel anyway!)

·
Super Moderator
44,743 Posts
Oh, and check up on what you need in your car for the countries you'll be passing through - high vis jacket, warning triangle, etc.

·
Registered
691 Posts
It will be fun - I took my 146 1600 boxer to Bordeaux and back.

The only problem I had was with a pesky genderme on a motorbike, who insisted on chasing me and robbing me of my hotel money for that night! "Goodbye" Holiday Inn and "Hello" Premier Class One. ( Premier?? You must be joking... ) :lol:

·
Registered
31,304 Posts
Come on, that's nothing, you wont have any problem. :cool:
Did Portugal/Netherlands twice (2x5000kms) in my 147 with no problems at all. And will do it again! :)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers lads.. all encouraging news. Touch wood the car has performed falutlessly in the 6months I have had her. Part of the reason why I want to take it there is because I feel that the raods I drive on including motorways just don't give me an oppurtunity to strectch her legs. planning on upgrading to the 147 gta in a few years... ill have to take that to the ring:)... Happy motoring

We drove my dads 146ti to South of France a few years back, have to admit the Alfas do love the open road!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Don't even worry about it. Just top up your levels and go.

Spider did 4000 miles in 20 days last summer without a hiccup : Holland-Germany-Switzerland-Italy-France

Only thing I would recommend if you want a little peice of mind is simething like the Euro-Breakdown policy I bought.

Covered 21 days, for all of the above countries and cost £34 for full roadside recovery, tow home if necessary - hire car etc.

That was from Swiftcover.com

·
Registered
293 Posts
I drove all the way to Austria, then Slovenia the back to the Uk in my 1.6 tspark 156 which had done 85k with a full boot of luggage at the time with no problems. Like the others say just take a can of oil as I had to top up once during the journey. Go for it and enjoy :)

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
"When did you have the belts done?!"

I thought it was chain driven lol...

Only joking, belts + variator changed 6k ago, also had fresh oil new tyres all around, (shes spoilt :) )

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Also really appreciate all your comments guys, thanks a lot. I know Alfas are solid cars and love the open road. Just comments from friends and family made me slightly dubious. Planning on doing the trip later this year, rest assured ill take lots of photos and upload them for you all to see.

Happy motoring!

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
"When did you have the belts done?!"

I thought it was chain driven lol...

Only joking, belts + variator changed 6k ago, also had fresh oil new tyres all around, (shes spoilt :) )
Sounds like she's good to go then!!
:cool:

I once did a non stop trip back from Brittany to home (near Halifax) in my 145QV. You can get a lot of booze in one of those!
:cheese:

Have a great trip!
:thumbs:

R

·
0 Posts
I dont even trust mine to drive to the next County in.....but good luck none the less!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts