Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The roads round my way have been bad for a few years now, and since the cold snap they're worse than the roads where I used to live in Thailand.

It's so bad that enjoying what is a pretty stiffly sprung sports coupe is nigh on impossible and I'm considering getting rid of both our (mrs morte and I's) 147 and GTV and getting something better suited to rallying.

D

·
0 Posts
where abouts in bucks are you? the roads over in bletchley are so full of potholes and they are so big it is making people cross the white line to avoid them:wow:

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
Roads are the same round Wellingborough, holes more than a foot across, mainly round the speed humps, whether that is significant I'm not sure.....any thoughts.....:confused:

D

·
0 Posts
my mrs lives in northampton and all the speed humps round her area have pot holes in front of them, and i cant believe how many speed humps there are in northampton.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Roads are the same round Wellingborough, holes more than a foot across, mainly round the speed humps, whether that is significant I'm not sure.....any thoughts.....:confused:
I would have thought the main reason for the holes to appear in front of the speed humps is the fact that they are in a braking zone and are subject to greater pressure from cars decelerating before the hump, add all the extra stress from the recent snow and ice and you've got a 3rd world highway.....

·
Registered
82 Posts
You'd think that having bled car owners dry they'd invest some of their ill gotten gains in the infrastructure. Fat chance. Third world roads and pay through the nose to use them. Makes my blood boil.

·
Registered
38,912 Posts
You'd think that having bled car owners dry they'd invest some of their ill gotten gains in the infrastructure. Fat chance. Third world roads and pay through the nose to use them. Makes my blood boil.
What he said.

I have visited 3rd world countries with better roads than ours.

D

·
0 Posts
this statement is shocking, milton keynes council said on the local radio station this week that it will have to go to the goverment for a handout as the m.k roads will cost £16,000.000 to upgrade:wow:

·
Registered
38,912 Posts
this statement is shocking, milton keynes council said on the local radio station this week that it will have to go to the goverment for a handout as the m.k roads will cost £16,000.000 to upgrade:wow:
Well the Government must have money, as they have stolen it from us in the first place.

I mean people don't always have a car for fun. They are forced into paying car purchase tax, road tax, fuel tax, insurance tax and MOT tax simply because they need a car for work.

Why should people who need to drive pay to fund government wastage on other things? Car tax should go on the roads, other taxes should go on other things.

Discuss....

D

·
0 Posts
they should be spending the car tax on the roads but they wont because they have got this country in such a financial mess they need every bit of tax out of us so they can pay off their loans, otherwise the u.k will lose its credit status. lets not get to political but hurry up may so i can help vote these w****** out:mad::rant:

·
Registered
17,798 Posts
I would personally scrap road tax altogether and up fuel tax, It sounds controversial, but... That way you are only paying for the amount of road you use, and how much of it you use. The only problem is making sure mr. Moneybags MP doesnt see that as a new goldmine and hike the tax up extortionately.

Paying tax on things you buy makes me mad. you have already been taxed up to the eyeballs on your wages, which you use to buy things and get taxed again...you're taxed if you win money, you're taxed if you inherit money...If you save money, and if you borrow money...argh is there a light at the end of the tunnel or are we all better off going on benefits?!?

D

·
0 Posts
then come may its time to let someone else have a go, if that w***** gets another 5 years in power we will be screwed and he will tax anything he can get his grubby, stealing hands on arghhhhhh:ANYWORD:

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
I would personally scrap road tax altogether and up fuel tax, It sounds controversial, but... That way you are only paying for the amount of road you use, and how much of it you use. The only problem is making sure mr. Moneybags MP doesnt see that as a new goldmine and hike the tax up extortionately.

Paying tax on things you buy makes me mad. you have already been taxed up to the eyeballs on your wages, which you use to buy things and get taxed again...you're taxed if you win money, you're taxed if you inherit money...If you save money, and if you borrow money...argh is there a light at the end of the tunnel or are we all better off going on benefits?!?
Even get a tax put on car insurance now :mad:

·
Registered
12,813 Posts
I would have thought the main reason for the holes to appear in front of the speed humps is the fact that they are in a braking zone and are subject to greater pressure from cars decelerating before the hump, add all the extra stress from the recent snow and ice and you've got a 3rd world highway.....
Sound thinking, but the holes are all round them.....probably not sealed when they were installed, typical council, another thing done on the cheap.....:Grrr:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
There is one road I drive down to take my son to nursery and I would say there is more pot hole than road, more than 50% of the surface is missing. Unfortunately years of under investment and quick fixes has caused the roads to deteriorate badly. I'm sure the contractors that do the work love patching holes because they know they'll be back a few weeks or months later to do it again. Not sure I really want to advocate this but I'm tempted to submit a bill for car repairs to the council for damage to my car, might make them think.

D

·
0 Posts
we have one road going through bletchley that i wont even drive on with the gtv, and the w***** council put a speed camera on it, its a 30 mph limit, you cant even drive down the road at more than 15 mph cos otherwise your bloody fillings fall out :rant:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I live in a 3rd world country (Spain :cheese: ) and we have incredibly smooth motorways, terrific B roads for some fast driving and inner cities will vary but the worst of it is normally down to poorly filled in pot holes. Eventually they get resurfaced though just as soon as we get fresh funding, usually from the EU. I get the feeling that EU funding which pays for most of this is simply not getting to you rich toffs in old blitey!!! :D ;)

Having said this, I am raising my 164 from 40mm to 25mm to deal with the poorer surfaces a bit better. The GTV was fine though and the 156 lowered 30mm (novitec/koni) is fine.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts