Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

What with limited travel for cars now what with the Covid-19,
Plus even some Insurance companies such as Admiral sending part refunds to customers as the risk factor has gone way down (very admirable of them)

Does that mean the Road tax has been postponed by 6 months did I hear right?

I'm looking at £330/ year now on a 2001 2.0L Petrol car which is phenomenal.

Any one know anything on this please?

ta!

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
It's the MoT that has been extended by six months:

No concession on car tax. Mine runs out at the end of June - I got my reminder, & renewed it, yesterday
Mine is exactly the same but I cannot renew it yet because the MOT is also due end of June and the DVLA will not update the MOT record with the additional 6 months until 7 days before it is due:rolleyes:

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I’ll renew the tax but just delay it 2 months. I’ve done little driving apart from short distance locale shopping fortnightly at most. The extortion of £330.00 based solely on emissions when I’ve done very little mileage recently (and under 5K between last MOTs) where a Tesla can pay no tax but take up the same amount of space on the roads is absolutely ludicrous.
My car is fitted with a Catalytic Converter as standard (and replaced a couple of years ago as a result of a chasmic pothole - oh the irony) which turns harmful gasses into Carbon Dioxide which is deemed safe.
The demonising of C02 works very much in favour of the taxman!
So I think I should be ok for the time-being.
If I do get caught out getting groceries on a 3 mile round trip I shall play dumb saying sorry officer I thought tax was extended 6 months because of lockdown and being dissuaded from taking unnecessary trips out in the car.
I shall say that I was just taking a drive to test my eyesight...

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
You don't understand:

a) the law. If it's not taxed or SORN'ed you're breaking the law, even if you don't drive it.

b) vehicle emissions.

do you?

·
Vendor
45,958 Posts
I think I’ll renew the tax but just delay it 2 months. I’ve done little driving apart from short distance locale shopping fortnightly at most. The extortion of £330.00 based solely on emissions when I’ve done very little mileage recently (and under 5K between last MOTs) where a Tesla can pay no tax but take up the same amount of space on the roads is absolutely ludicrous.
My car is fitted with a Catalytic Converter as standard (and replaced a couple of years ago as a result of a chasmic pothole - oh the irony) which turns harmful gasses into Carbon Dioxide which is deemed safe.
The demonising of C02 works very much in favour of the taxman!
So I think I should be ok for the time-being.
If I do get caught out getting groceries on a 3 mile round trip I shall play dumb saying sorry officer I thought tax was extended 6 months because of lockdown and being dissuaded from taking unnecessary trips out in the car.
I shall say that I was just taking a drive to test my eyesight...
If you don't SORN it then when you do come to re-tax it you'll have to pay the tax back from when it was due. If you do SORN it and get caught driving it, its a fairly chunky fine.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
If you don't SORN it then when you do come to re-tax it you'll have to pay the tax back from when it was due.
It appears to be worse than that. From the DVLA's website:

"You must insure and tax your vehicle if you don’t have a SORN. If you don’t, you’ll automatically be fined £80 for not having a SORN. "

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You don't understand:

a) the law. If it's not taxed or SORN'ed you're breaking the law, even if you don't drive it.

b) vehicle emissions.

do you?
I do understand;

a) it’s either or. I was just pondering whether there was a way of postponing it excusing it in these odd times. I was more jesting / having a rant than actually being serious do not worry.
I’ll have to decide on one or the other.

b) that road / car/ highway tax defined by emissions but not the volume of emissions is ludicrously unjust.
I’m sure any reasonable person would agree it is disproportionate based on this.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you don't SORN it then when you do come to re-tax it you'll have to pay the tax back from when it was due. If you do SORN it and get caught driving it, its a fairly chunky fine.

Yes I’ve heard of that; if it’s not SORN status then re-taxing will be from the date of expiry of the previous tax.
Driving to and from MOT is the only legal option for driving a SORN status car. Sadly I guess I won’t be covered if the car is going for a service / extensive work.
Ho hum.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It appears to be worse than that. From the DVLA's website:

"You must insure and tax your vehicle if you don’t have a SORN. If you don’t, you’ll automatically be fined £80 for not having a SORN. "
Crikey so if a car is on a driveway un-taxed and not SORN then they could fine the owner £80 just like that?!
Sheesh.

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Presumably if a car is not SORNed and you delay renewing the tax then when you eventually renew that is prima facie evidence of the offence and the fine will have to be paid to be able to tax it as well as taxing it from the original date

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
Even if there were a pain-free way to avoid taxing it for two months, you'd only save £55 which, in the context of the cost of car ownership, is the square root of not a lot.

·
Registered
6,755 Posts
Presumably if a car is not SORNed and you delay renewing the tax then when you eventually renew that is prima facie evidence of the offence and the fine will have to be paid to be able to tax it as well as taxing it from the original date
It appears that the fine is automatic. Ignore the "last chance" warning letter from the DVLA & you're fined.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts