Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,

Has anyone noticed how bad the road surfaces are getting in the UK? Used to be a few potholes and cracks but now they are everywhere in my county (Somerset) and further afield. Temporary repairs don't last, surface dressing doesn't last, and the few new bits of road surface are just that - few!

Once we get to the stage of needing all the roads repaired, how on earth can we afford it? This IMHO is the result of years of (third world?) neglect and its playing havoc with my Alfa's sports alloys and skinny tyres. :depressed:

What's the answer?

Alex.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
British roads have been in decline for decades.

It's an easy budget item to cut. Nobody is going to go on a march or strike about the state of the roads.
;)

I only rent SUVs when I go there now. :thumbs:

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
British roads have been in decline for decades.

It's an easy budget item to cut. Nobody is going to go on a march or strike about the state of the roads.
;)

I only rent SUVs when I go there now. :thumbs:
Have you been to Italy recently? The USA state roads are a state too. I never quite get the motoring liars whom say the car has not yet been tested on British roads. Many European ones are **** too.

Reactions: Top Down

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have you been to Italy recently? The USA state roads are a state too. I never quite get the motoring liars whom say the car has not yet been tested on British roads. Many European ones are **** too.
Wezley,

Hi, Not Italy recently but France and Spain. The French toll motorways are smooth as silk, the car purrs. :yes:

Round here its a constant battle. Worst one was a large hole around a drain gulley. The wheel dropped in and the rim caught the edge of the iron gulley. Nowadays I spend more time scanning the road surface than scanning for speedtraps!.

Alex.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I Have had some success reporting pot holes using this link

https://www.fixmystreet.com/

If the report doesn't work, after a month it gives you the opportunity to report directly to your local councillor. If enough people use it they might start to take notice.

In your report I have found that they take more notice if you report that there are safety issues, say for cyclists or motor cyclists. As a member of both groups I normally report from that stand point.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
I never quite get the motoring liars whom say the car has not yet been tested on British roads.

I don't think the motoring "journalists" mean that roads are in a bad state.

Just that they are designed/laid-out/built differently, or something.

'sall borrocks now given the state of them :lol:

·
Registered
36,840 Posts
My dad was saying how bad the state of the roads was when we drove him from where he lives in Surrey to where he grew up. Epsom had terrible roads and uncleared green-stained road signs despite being a borough with some tax income. It's probably a visible thing that can be used for political gain. Where we are in Kent has had many of the roads resurfaced this year which makes you see where your taxes are going. It's ironic to drive past a dealership forecourt with lines of £200000 Ferraris in the Epsom area to think that there are no roads locally suitable for driving them!

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
About 2 months ago, a chap was spraying white paint around all the pot holes on the road local to us. Now the paint has worn away and they still haven't been fixed. It's a joke. I expect to see him back again soon!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi,

We've had some roads properly resurfaced on the Mendips, near where I live. This has totally transformed my driving experience. Even turned the traction control off!

:thumbup:

Alex.

·
Registered
36,840 Posts
Some local lads have taken a shine , pun intended, to our lovely resurfaced road. Not good as they're doing wheelies next to the cars. Not so good after all.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts