Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When they resurface the roads and stick the '20mph risk of skidding' signs up, is that a mandatory speed limit or advisory? only ask because they had put them up before they even started / closed the road :confused:

P

·
0 Posts
Circle - Compulsory
Triangle - Advisory

If it is static (in the ground) then I would imagine it would me Compulsory based on a new road layout.... I could be wrong

·
Registered
44,775 Posts
If you have an accident and the police believe it was caused by you ignoring the advisory limit they might hit you with a Careless or Reckless driving charge. ;)

·
Registered
6,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't remember if it was circled or in a triangle, but defo temp signs placed every few yards and at low level

I only see them when the resurface the roads on the cheap (loose gravel)

·
Administrator
45,145 Posts
Some square signs are worth paying attention to.

View attachment 176538
I passed one of them once on a very long straight highway going up the East side of the Rockies. A few minutes later, an F-15 shot past. :eek:

Pretty sure there must have been an Air Force base nearby, unless their traffic enforcement department had a REALLY big budget!

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
When they resurface the roads and stick the '20mph risk of skidding' signs up, is that a mandatory speed limit or advisory? only ask because they had put them up before they even started / closed the road :confused:
I thought it meant there was an opportunity ahead? :lol:

S

·
0 Posts
I passed one of them once on a very long straight highway going up the East side of the Rockies. A few minutes later, an F-15 shot past. :eek:

Pretty sure there must have been an Air Force base nearby, unless their traffic enforcement department had a REALLY big budget!
Or maybe you were driving REALLY fast. :lol:

C

·
0 Posts
If the speed limit sign has a red ring around it then it's compulsory. If it has a grey / black / white (in the case of the variable speed limit LED jobbies) or no ring around it, then it's advisory. And then there's de-restricted which is different in the way it should be interpreted.

I think the difference is the red ringers are subject to a traffic regulation order where the advisories are not.

·
Registered
37,341 Posts
That could well be a Scottish thing as I haven't seen those down here.

I usually obey speed limits where there are chippings on the road, as I value my paint and windscreen.

It is when some idiot coming the other way doesn't that gets on my nerves though as I have seen cars windows broken by kicked up stones.

·
Premium Member
13,135 Posts
To be fair, I ten to stick to the 20mph limits as it usually means there's liable to be kids playing around the area and I know I would be less than pleased if someone doing more than that were to put any of my kids at risk because of their stupidity. So, feel, if it's mandatory, great and if not, it should be.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
The green ringed signs are advisory, the authorities cannot enforce that speed limit and it is still set at the previous red ringed signs.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts