Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 156 SW seems to be quite noisy....best described as sounding like it had off road tyres on it.....sort of whine/rumble. It doesn't go away in corners so assume it isn't wheel bearings but I can feel something through the steering which feels like the noise.....It does sound like a rough bearing but wouldn't that decrease in corners when it loads up?
Cheers

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
My 156 SW seems to be quite noisy....best described as sounding like it had off road tyres on it.....sort of whine/rumble. It doesn't go away in corners so assume it isn't wheel bearings but I can feel something through the steering which feels like the noise.....It does sound like a rough bearing but wouldn't that decrease in corners when it loads up?
Cheers
Have you got 'v-shape' tyres on it?
Usually these tyres are noisy

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would agree that its probably the tires, i had eagle F1 and avon ZZ3 and they are both noisy tires. I now have Dunlop SP Sports Maxx and Whalni on the front, but will change the front ones as they are crap in the wet

·
Registered
45 Posts
i'd like info on this one as well

just bought a 2002 156 2.0 60k miles (my first Alfa!)

noise from 20mph upwards, not really noticeable from 60mph but you really can tell when slowing down (brakes or rolling) and again the noise cant be heard under 20mph
same in all gears and in neutral

I suspected a wheel bearing

does have new tyres

no alfa dealers nearby so try here first

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Wanli tyre's are most probably the culprit as they are very cheap and are known for road noise, also the tyre's could be "stepping" on the edge's which will result in road noise which sound's like wheel bearing rumble.

·
Registered
610 Posts
My Gt is terribly noisy running on falkern 912, i mean headache material. If the tarmac changes compound i get different noises from quiet to deafening :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts