Alfa Romeo Forum banner

Road noise in the cab

Tags
cab road
5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  linux 
#1 ·
Hi everybody!I'm gonna buy alfa159,but test drive left me confused-the road noise inside was to high even in comperance with my oldy pug 406.Then I rented alfa for a few days to get more familiar with her,and I found that noise even worse!Do anybody expierenced that problem,and is there any way to fight it? No other problems spotted-diesel engine brilliant,handling exellent,styling and design-at the top.thanks.

#2 ·
certain tyres are "worse" for road noise...what size wheels were on car? Also , maybe the 159 is more refined than the 406 hence you can actually hear the road noise ..where as in the 406 the road noise was muffled out by other car sounds ..like engine , wind etc. But not sure..certainly I dont have that issue with mine even compared to wife focus ..alfa is smoother that the focus.

G
#9 ·
The 159 has thicker glass in the windscreen and front side windows specifically to cut noise levels. I suspect the Brera is the same. Sunroof won't help of course - but don't see why this would be worse than the Skyview roof of a Brera SV.
If anything I would have thought the Brera would have slightly less compliant suspension bushes - giving more noise.
Maybe its just the bigger passenger box? And/or tyres. :confused:

#4 ·
Very much agree with Vromm - the tires make quite a big difference. I recently switched from the OEM Bridgestones (the RE050A) to Michelin Primacy HPs and there is quite a significant reduction of noise in the cab.

Honestly, I'm not thrilled with the way the Michelins feel (they are less sharp in handling compared to the Bridgestones, although ride comfort is better), but it is nice to not have to turn up the stereo so much!! Now the only thing is wind noise, which starts to be an issue only above 140 km/hr or so. :)

I have heard that the Michelins are now OEM on some 159s, so it may be worth checking the car that you are planning to buy, or even asking the dealer to switch if that's your preference...

#11 ·
So as I understand some kind of problem exsists.I tested one car with Good Year,another-Bridgestones tyres,and the one on Bridgestones was way less noisy!Seems there is possibility to pick right tyres,but the main trick I think is in suspension design.

#12 ·
Road noise is the only thing that dissapoints me with my 159. At the end of the day though, I love everything else about it, so it's something I've just learnt to live with. Shame really because it stops the car being perfect :inlove:

(.......providing you overlookthe awful tyre wear and the mediocre fuel consumption) :lol:

#13 ·
Not sure why but my 159 (06 saloon) is very quiet, 17" rims running Michelin Premacys front and Goodyears on rear, 159 is miles quieter than my last car a Ford Focus Mk1, is it down to tyre pressures and makes? Took some friends to Bristol airport few weeks ago and compliments on how quiet car was at motorway speeds especially, (70 Officer honest!! )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.