Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the misfortune of putting my Alfa 156 (2.4 JTDm) into car hospital yesterday through no fault of my own. Coming off a round-about there was a chunk of iron in the carriageway, I'd no chance of avoiding it and 'hoped' it'd pass underneath.... it didn't.:mad:

So 'Romana' (naming of cars is sad I know) was trundled, courtesy of the AA, back to Northants Alfa with a busted sump and a nice oily decal all over the rear end.

I don't know what the cost is likely to be (circa £400?) yet but I've plenty of photographic evidence to use for an insurance claim and an Police incident number.

What I'd like to ask is is there any liability on the council/highways agency for this sort of thing? Just wondered if anyone on here has had a similar experience and whether they've been able to claim against anything other than your own insurance.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
I had the misfortune of putting my Alfa 156 (2.4 JTDm) into car hospital yesterday through no fault of my own. Coming off a round-about there was a chunk of iron in the carriageway, I'd no chance of avoiding it and 'hoped' it'd pass underneath.... it didn't.:mad:

So 'Romana' (naming of cars is sad I know) was trundled, courtesy of the AA, back to Northants Alfa with a busted sump and a nice oily decal all over the rear end.

I don't know what the cost is likely to be (circa £400?) yet but I've plenty of photographic evidence to use for an insurance claim and an Police incident number.

What I'd like to ask is is there any liability on the council/highways agency for this sort of thing? Just wondered if anyone on here has had a similar experience and whether they've been able to claim against anything other than your own insurance.
**** thats bad luck! :(

Unless you can prove which vehicle the lump of iron came from then its going to be a claim on your own insurance - and for 400quid is it really worth it? Id say not!

The council will not entertain claims for compo/money recovery in instances like this - which I think is fair enough. After all its not their fault a piece of pig iron fell off a passing truck.

Good luck getting sorted but id say youre **** out of luck trying to get money off anyone. One to chalk up to experience :eek:

·
Registered
43,564 Posts
Sorry to hear about that mate that's really bad luck !! :(

Unfortunately unless it was a drain cover or 'road furniture' that you struck you'll be hard pushed to make a claim and as Euroboy said if it didn't come from another vehicle that you could indentify you can't go that route either !! :(

Hope you get it all fixed soon !! :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Speaking of road debris, I was driving back from Wakefield to Nottingham up the M1 a few weeks ago, all the traffic slowed slightly - I assumed it was one of those traffic officers or something but it was actually a 2-seater sofa and tree cuttings in-between the middle & outside lanes!:confused:
Was almost certain I'd read about an accident later on, but alas not!:rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about the damage, that is bad luck:( Hope it gets sorted soon.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have just got my 166 back from the quacks, was hooning along the A43 when a load of builders rubble fell from a pick up truck in front of me, got showered with brick ends, chunks of concrete, blocks of wood and even a length of scaffold pole !! I hit a chunk of concrete with the n/s front wheel, it shattered the wheel and bent the steering rack, the bonnet was peppered the grille destroyed and the n/s mirror wiped off completely, incredibly the windscreen and so also my wife and me remained in one piece. bluddy scary I can tell you, the bloke just drove on unaware what was going on, and due to blind panic and fighting to control a 3 wheeled Alfa I did`nt get the reg number, thank heavens for protected NCD !!

·
Registered
15,299 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune; but unless the Council knew it was there and failed within a reasonable period of time to remove it I very much doubt they will have any liability to you.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
I was driving up the A2 some years ago and was being tailgated by a white van:mad: Up ahead was a coil of rope in the middle of the carriage way. I swopped lanes just in time but because the van was so close he didn't see it and it got stuck under his front end causing him to break hard and pull over on to the hard shoulder.:D moral of story, Do not tailgate.

·
Registered
225 Posts
...because the van was so close he didn't see it and it got stuck under his front end causing him to break hard and pull over on to the hard shoulder.:D moral of story, Do not tailgate.
I like those kind of stories:D , the amount of people that drive stupidly on the Motorway etc., doesn't half get on my nerves sometimes!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, Unfortunately don't think you'll have any joy from council as was a stray piece of iron and for £400 i would just foot the bill as by the time you've folked out your excess you may well have just paid for the repair.

3 years ago i successfully claimed against my local council as drove over a raised man hole during roadworks at night, which didn't have its cover fitted properly, Result was collapsed rear suspension and 3 days without my 156 and a courtesy Ford Ka ;-)....... Nice..... Not!!!. Fortunately i had me camera so took pics of the offending manhole, car being put on truck and damage caused. Sent everything off with receipts to them and 5 weeks later received a cheque for the full cost of the repair and a sorry letter!!!!

Good luck and hope you get it sorted ASAP.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the feedback, pretty much as I expected really but worth asking your opinions.

The quote for work is in the region of £700 as there's more damage than just to the sump unfortunately. So it'll be an insurance job, if it was £400 I'd have paid out but I'd imagine the £700 will be nearer £800!

Thankfully the incident wasn't as bad as Mad Biker's - I guess we're lucky that I didn't hit it wheel-on as we'd have been far worse off.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts