Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to Newburn on Monday for the sunset and heres a few of my shots. I used my Nikon 18-70 AF-S with a Hitech ND 0.9 Grad and have to say i found it difficult shooting into the sun. I did try also using a Hitech ND 0.9 aswell as the Grad in some of my shots where the sun was still fully showing due to its brightness.

My main concern here and issue where i would appreciate some feedback is is it normal to have the scenery such as the trees more or less black as it is in the first shot? I have learned that i must get to these spots with more time as the sun doesnt hang about for long! By the time i messed about with the filters i had nearly missed the action!:lol:
Comments and advice most welcome.
Phil

·
Registered
15,172 Posts
The reason the foreground is so dark in the first picture is because the camera has exposed the scene to compensate for the brightness of the direct sunlight and because of this, there is not enough light in the foreground to capture the details.
You'll notice in the last picture that there is more detail in the foreground because the scene has a more balanced light spread.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do about it without getting jiggy with Photoshop or Lightroom. You could use a graduated ND to darken different parts of the image but that can be quite tricky.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason the foreground is so dark in the first picture is because the camera has exposed the scene to compensate for the brightness of the direct sunlight and because of this, there is not enough light in the foreground to capture the details.
You'll notice in the last picture that there is more detail in the foreground because the scene has a more balanced light spread.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do about it without getting jiggy with Photoshop or Lightroom. You could use a graduated ND to darken different parts of the image but that can be quite tricky.
Yeh Bodba, i appreciate and understand why it happened but it was more the question is does it look right? As i mentioned further up i used a 0.9 (3 stop) ND Grad but the forground scenery is still black.
Phil

Nice pics. The reflections and ripples are great.
Thanks Monza:)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts