Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened to turn on the TV this morning over breakfast and the long debated on here topic of "fuel" was being discussed.

It was relating to a lady who's car had been basically ruined by bad fuel from her local petrol station. Now, they went to state that this appeared to be an isolated incident blah blah and that there was a huge amount of fuel sold that day from those pumps with no apparent related complaints.

However☝
The "expert" came on and stated that..and I quote (roughly)

"All fuel is essentially the same. Since regulations changed in 2008 and the addition of bio fuels began, the issue (which was unforeseen! Aye right!!) of water contamination began. Bio fuels have a tendency to absorb water over time and diesel is particularly prone. It also tends to form a horrible carbon based sludge over time too. So, in essence, it is not the actual fuel that can be problematic but rather how is it stored, how it is transported and how long it is stored for"

This has many connotations if true.

Here's one that I'm pondering:
Does it mean that a new supermarket buit station, which has high usage, would be better than an old shell/BP station that's been there for 25years+ and located/isolated somewhere in the middle of nowhere!? Am I spending my money needlessly on Vpower when my local tesco at silverburn, being there for only a few short years sells 99ron relatively cheaply?

Also, if you pick up a pump and it's running at half speed(as they tend to do when their tanks are running low), should you hang it it up, pay the minimum and go elsewhere?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
I've pondered the use of premium fuels, but the BP Ultimate I've tried didn't make much difference - it was 8p per litre more than the equivalent BP diesel, vs the 12p more for Shell VPower/Shell fuel save, in fact I noticed a bit more stuttering on pull away with the premium, which made me think that the fuel may have suffered - 90% of people will just use the cheapest available - in my area, the Shell/BP/other stations are around 6p more per litre for basic fuels than the supermarkets.

Personally, I'd rather use a busy, well-used station than one out in the sticks.

Must admit, I didn't know about pumping speed relating to tank levels -

·
Registered
13,230 Posts
I use the cheapest (highest selling volume) supermarket fuel and then stick 50ml of 2-Ethyl-Hexyl Nitrate as a heptane booster, and 200ml of Turpentine Substitute, as a cleaner in every (8 out of 10 tankfuls.

The car runs okay. I don't notice any real difference using BP or Shell Opti-fuel ... but even so, just ahead of the MOT I'll use a tank of it.. and then another half-tank for the MOT itself (old JTD vs Dr Death, needs all the help it can get).

There's no gum or crap in the fuel tank or system.. and the fuel filter (with the built in water detector) can go 48,000 miles without complaining about water in the system. I didn't realise it was a 12,000 mile interval service item and just left it in there for a couple of years. Even when I changed it, it was not giving a water detected error.

So no point in expensive stuff for my old JTD. Obviously Mitsubishi Mega-Lancer XPR-RR's and the likes might have different demands.

Ralf S.

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,328 Posts
When I had my Clio 172, I used to use whatever the premium grade fuel was - BP Ultimate, I think it was (do t recall now). There were probably times when I had to fill up with whatever I could get; not sure I noticed any difference in performance or economy.

The point about these ultimate/performance fuels - allowing for the sales spiel - is they don’t ‘improve’ performance; they maintain it/stop it getting worse (well, as much as petrol alone can make a difference to performance.)

I guess to establish their value you’d need to take two identical cars, drive them in the same way if possible, run one on ‘cheap’ fuel and one on premium for, say, 50k, then do a performance testing followed by a strip down to see what’s what.

I have no idea how petrol has changed in the last 30 years, nor what was fed to my car for the 21 years before I bought it, but it seems perfectly happy with 95RON, wherever I get it from (but equally, it’s a boggo standard engine, so it’s probably not fussed what it gets.)

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Water in diesel has been an issue in the leisure marine world for years, particularly caused by condensation with half empty metal fuel tanks over winter. The bug has been known to completely block fuel filters and stop engines. There is available treatments that eats the bugs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts