Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was driving home from work on Thursday, minding my own business. However I saw an Audi A3 coming upto a junction but given that the road I was on had quite a lot of parked cars on it I eased off as it looked like his didn't see me. Then he stopped which implied to me that he did see me so I passed him. Except he hadn't... And drove into me :( He was very apologetic and admitted liability there an then. My car sadly was very badly damaged. The front wing was completely stoked in, the force of the impact was enough to rip the type off its rim. It turned out that the steering rack had been bent and when went to see it this morning it looked like the passenger door was pushed back.

Fortunately it appears I have a good broker (Kwik Fit) and they have got me back on the road. I have a Merc A180 CDI as a hire car till the claim is settled and I get a new car. It's nice enough but a bit squidgy for me.

No car loss has upset me more than losing this one. I think its the best car I've had in a long time. It looked great, it drove well. And replacenent MultiAir unit notwithstanding, has been über reliable. I will miss her :cry:

And so.... What next? There seem to be some good deals on new Giuliettas but I feel I need a bigger car so for now I'm tempted by a 159 Sportwagon. It would have to be a late model as there seems no sense in getting an older car than I have now. There aren't many (my G was a 2010 60 reg) so it may take time to get the right one.

Decisions, decisions :biglaugh:

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ouch!

A write off is never nice, been there. I knew the 500 was dead when the airbags went off. Its amazing how often people look, and don't see whats coming!

The main thing, and I know its a cliche, is that no one is seriously hurt, cars can be replaced.

Good luck finding your new car

·
Registered
774 Posts
Sad. My 156 was written off by an idiot on icy roads some years ago. Still miss it. I'd spent 2 hours cleaning it the day before too.

I've had a 159 sw. Lovely and obviously more space but you'll find it much heavier front end than the G.

Good luck and sorry again. At least no-one got physically hurt.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
My 74 year old mum was driving my 3 year old son through the small town she lives in and some bloke came straight out of a side road and t-boned her. She was driving a Peugeot 108, so the fact both were fine was incredibly lucky. Makes you realise how precious your nearest and dearest are.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: As I had GAP insurance I claim back the original invoice value which I'm delighted about. As a result I have ordered a Luna Pearl QV Line MultiAir with TCT. I should get it next week. Happy days :)

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
That was flippin' quick! most insurance companies would have dragged that claim out for weeks, forcing you to drive a courtesy car or worse taking the bus everywhere :happy:

·
Registered
431 Posts
Update: As I had GAP insurance I claim back the original invoice value which I'm delighted about. As a result I have ordered a Luna Pearl QV Line MultiAir with TCT. I should get it next week. Happy days :)
Wow good insurance company, glad to hear your staying with a G.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts

Not bad :D. When I crashed mine, I also considered different options (Mazda 3, Volvo V40), but ended up with a new Giulietta (Sprint MA 150HP).

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Actually I'm on a rollercoaster ride of different Giuliettas as Mangoletsi don't seem able to supply a car when I need it! The latest is a red Collezione which sounds really nice but the cynic in me thinks they'll be messing up that delivery as well...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Actually I'm on a rollercoaster ride of different Giuliettas as Mangoletsi don't seem able to supply a car when I need it! The latest is a red Collezione which sounds really nice but the cynic in me thinks they'll be messing up that delivery as well...
Honestly.

Would travel the length of the country to stay clear of Mangoletsi!!!!! Don't give these people your money/order even if it is through the insurance. They will not deliver what you have asked for and any problems with the car well you can forget about after sales service!!

There has to be other Dealers people can recommend out there!!!! Anyone dealt with Autoworld Chesterfield or Sturgess in Leicester (if there still around that is)!!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Beechdale Derby have some very happy customers and excellent prices. I'm dealing with them at the moment for a new Collezione in March and have been impressed so far.
I bought my 159 new from Craig Aspin(last heard of at BMW) at Mangoletsi in 2006 during Mangos' "Golden Era" and had a couple of satisfactory services and a 147 belt change there. Then many of their respected staff moved on and standards seemed to fall away. I once watched an employee, at my request, remove the bird muck from my Fiat 500 courtesy car. He obliged with a wire brush........
I haven't returned but friends who have bought a 4C and Subaru BRZ were pretty disgusted with their treatment.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Honestly.

Would travel the length of the country to stay clear of Mangoletsi!!!!! Don't give these people your money/order even if it is through the insurance. They will not deliver what you have asked for and any problems with the car well you can forget about after sales service!!

There has to be other Dealers people can recommend out there!!!! Anyone dealt with Autoworld Chesterfield or Sturgess in Leicester (if there still around that is)!!
Too late... I am picking my new car on Wednesday. The trouble is where I live I have next to no choice of dealers and I really can't be bothered travelling to the other end of the country to buy a car. It's hard enough getting to Knutsford!

My experience is after sales is not as bad as yours. When my MultiAir unit failed they were pretty decent at sorting it out.

Alfa Romeo have a problem with their dealer network, and have done for years. At the end of the day it's up to ARUK to sort that out. I actually went into a Lexus dealer last week. If you want to see a slick customer service in action, you should try them. Just a pity the ct200h is so dull!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I hope it all goes well for you, and you get a decent after sales service if you need it.

Wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did with them!!!

Agree with you on the Lexus, I was/am tempted to change the G in the new year but I really don't know what to go for. I say that but I know it will be another G :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I hope it all goes well for you, and you get a decent after sales service if you need it.

Wouldn't want anyone to go through what I did with them!!!

Agree with you on the Lexus, I was/am tempted to change the G in the new year but I really don't know what to go for. I say that but I know it will be another G :)
Thanks Simmo. I got my new G today and hats off to them, I have never had a smoother purchase of a car in my life. The sale manager even came over to speak to me after I gave a none too glowing review. Interestingly he's new and seemed to really want to improve Mangoletsi.

As for the car itself, I'll start a new thread as the Collezione has not really been covered on this forum too much.

Go for the G... You know you want to!

·
Registered
33,697 Posts
Thanks Simmo. I got my new G today and hats off to them, I have never had a smoother purchase of a car in my life. The sale manager even came over to speak to me after I gave a none too glowing review. Interestingly he's new and seemed to really want to improve Mangoletsi.

As for the car itself, I'll start a new thread as the Collezione has not really been covered on this forum too much.

Go for the G... You know you want to!
A latest spec Collezione ?

Do some pics as this could be the spec that convinces me to update my Giulietta.
What colour did you get?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A latest spec Collezione ?

Do some pics as this could be the spec that convinces me to update my Giulietta.
What colour did you get?
Yes, it's the latest spec one. In fact it is a brand new one! It has the live uConnect s I do have TMC unlike some. The 6.5" screen is absolutely brilliant.

I got a red/black one and it looks amazing! The leather interior is really lovely too. The front seats are really comfortable and are heated.

In relation to my old Veloce it seems much smoother. It is definitely quieter but I reckon that's the TCT changing up quickly in N mode. The ride is much better too... Much more able to soak up bumps and at last I don't have the creaks over speed bumps!

Only trouble is that I have only had the car a short time and have managed to kerb a wheel... Although not badly. It was done on one of those narrowed out traffic calming things where gap is not wide enough for a modern car!

I do recommend it Cue... I'll post pics tomorrow when I get the chance to take some.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts