Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Travelling home from work last night, I had a collision at around 40/50 mph, ploughed straight into a ford focus who failed to stop at a give way junction.

Air bags went off everywhere, and I was lucky to just be able to walk away!

I hope my car is a write off, as i'd never feel safe in a car that had had so much work done to it :(

I bloomin loved my car though, and I am so gutted to be without it! I cherished it so much, it was an absolute minter!

I have been given a Merc A Class by the insurance company, absolute bobbins and no personality whatsoever!

How bad does damage have to be before they'll call it a write off?

·
Registered
11,604 Posts
Glad yer ok, at that speed, I reckon a foregone conclusion...

·
Vendor
45,810 Posts
Cars these days are built to keep you alive, not built to be easy or cheap to repair. RIP Mito.

Will you get another?

·
Registered
12,745 Posts
Sad story but at least you are ok, that's the main thing....:thumbs:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought as much, crumple zones cannot be replaced.

The police were absolutely amazed at how it took the crash. I simply couldn't believe how many airbags the were, and how easily I just managed to walk away. My mito did me proud right to the very end!

I am 90% getting a new one. Not going to deny been looking at other cars on the internet tonight, A1, Mini, Polo, and seat ibiza cupra.

Everything is an option on these cars though, and once you've specced it to the same as the Veloce/Distinctive trim the price is way over that of the Mito.

Luckily I have gap, so can use that as a deposit.

The decision I really have to make, is whether to pay the extra £50-£70 a month a QV costs. Plus there's the extra running costs. But my mums 170 MA seems to average the same mpg as my 95bhp did anyways!

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Ow no! Glad your ok though and good job that you've got gap insurance. :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To think I nearly turned it down too :O I'd be in an absolute mountain of debt now! My years worth of payments would be no where near what the car has lost in value.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have to point out though, how massively impressed the police were with the way the Mito handled the crash! It's not hit me how lucky i've been yet, but they couldn't emphasise enough how much I owe the car.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Well it's good to know the Mito's so safe. I knew it had a lot of airbags and safety features, so it's lived up to its bill in this occasion. :)

·
Registered
7,551 Posts
Oh dear, glad you're ok.

That was quite poignant "My mito did me proud right to the very end!" no doubt saving you serious injury.

We do anthropomorphise our cars a lot, especially Alfas (they're all women, aren't they?) but you saying that made me think of the film iRobot ... "Human in danger!" and the robot would throw itself in harms way to save the human ...

The little Mito's last words were probably "Owner in danger!" as she used her last breath to inflate the air bags. How could you even contemplate another marque!? :)

RIP Little Mito :(

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have to point out though, how massively impressed the police were with the way the Mito handled the crash! It's not hit me how lucky i've been yet, but they couldn't emphasise enough how much I owe the car.
It is indeed a very safe car.. i had a friend that was hit from a car that jumped off the lane on the opposite way, the driver had fall asleep and simply lost control of the car. The hit (mid front) was big enough to completely destroy both cars, my friend came out of his Mito with just some scratches and nothing more... the other driver had to wait for the fire brigade to come and to be extracted by the car (it took some two hours) and had some major injuries (both legs broken).

Some two weeks ago i was to my local Alfa dealer for a minor issue on the GTA, he asked me if i wanted to take a drive training on track, as it's included to anyone who buys a Green Cloverleaf Mito, and the guy who was supposed to have it as a new Mito QV owner declined it as "he didn't need it"... My dealer knows i like to track on the Spider, and offered it to me.. i insisted with him to really push the guy to take the drive training... and didn't heard anything more of it.. last week i went again and while i was leaving the dealer called me to "show me a thing".... well, guess what, the "i don't need it" guy Mito was on a side of the courtyard, completely destroyed up to the cabin... 130 miles on the dashboard. the guy went to a nearby town some 5 hours after taking the new car, and slammed into a van, at 60 mph.. the car was totally destroyed, i think he has no more a driving license :D, but not a single scratch.

·
Registered
7,708 Posts
Sorry to hear this, MiTo1988. But...it is very good to know how safe the MiTo is. Just seeing some of the crash-test footage on YouTube is evidence of this, too.

Your Italian motor may be damaged beyond repair, but take solace in the fact that it did the best job of saving you at the end! :)

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Bad news but glad you walked away (similar to me in my 156):cry:

Any pics yet?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Sounds pretty scary. Good to hear the MiTo crash protection did it's job.

Based on your description, it sounds like a fairly straightforward write-off to me. Not wishing to tempt fate, but I'd say you'd get paid out and on your way pretty swiftly. The PIA crashes are those where they take ages to make up their minds about repairs. The rule of thumb for these is they will repair if the repair estimate is less than about 60% of the current value of the car. This is where the arguments start :(

Good luck with whatever car you choose!

·
Registered
26,529 Posts
Great news your o.k. How did the other vehicle/driver come off ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
More than the value of the car.
Not even that much. It varies from insure to insurer, but it'll be written off if the value of repairs reaches on average, around 70% of the value of the vehicle. And they don't tend to be too generous with book values either.

Glad to hear the OP is ok though. At least the car can be replaced.

·
Registered
73 Posts
That's very sad to hear of the loss of your Mito but that's nowhere near as bad as hearing about a loss of life. If nothing else this experience has proven to us all how safe these little cars are. I don't think I would even contemplate getting anything other than a Mito to replace it after this experience, and I think if the truth be known you wouldn't either. Glad you're ok.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts