Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed that there has been a distinct lack of discussion over the farce of the Austrian GP.

All I can say is that as an avid Formula 1 fan for the past 22 Years (who in fact would have seen 90% of all races in that period in one way or another, and spent $7500 in merchandising, tickets, etc) will no longer be bothered to stay up at 3:00AM (Australian Time) to watch what is in fact a circus.

Ferrari's & Schumacher's actions on Sunday have made 1 in 2 F1 fans into cynics, who no longer believe that Formula 1 can be described as a "Sport".

Shame on Ferrari & Shame on Michael Schumacher. They have killed F1 for millions of fans.

But then again, what can you expect from a baboon who has to resort to shunting off tru champions like Damnon Hill and Jaques Villeneuve to win championships???

I guess I'll have to start learning the names of the drivers in Indy!

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Something tells me you may have missed something Stef!!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
F1 died years ago. Its a travelling circus. That 'sport' needs a good kick up the arse and that greedy eccelstone git should be rodgered senseless by a bunch of horney monkeys.

·
Registered
8,688 Posts
Just read the FIA are going to launch an ivestigation.Can they can repair the damage after the event though?

·
Registered
744 Posts
I am feeling very gutted today as a reslut of Ferarri's action.

I am and always will be an avid Ferrari fan which gets me lots of aggro from british Formula 1 supporters who believe I should support the likes of Coulthard and Button etc. I support a Team and that team is Ferrari (you all understand this kind of passion as Alfa drivers).

I believe that Ferarri and Schumacher should loose all of their championship points from the race for this. Barichello should be re-instated back to first and he should keep his points.

Schumacher must have a lot of pull for Ferrari and should have grabbed his ******** and rejected his 'Team Instructions' and let Barichello win.

Don't forget this has happened before but never this early in a season where there is still everything to play for.

My respect for Barichello has multiplied many times over for the way he took this.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Just to add let's all get behind Alfa Romeo in the Touring Car championships instead.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
yeah... touring cars... i think we all get together and run team alfaowner.com with a 147 and a 156!!!

Anyone got any money???

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Have to agree with you guys, F1 is more of a financial circus or a big ad campaign than it is a sport. I still think it's fun to watch though. And I don't think anyone should blame the drivers (Schumi or others) because it's a carefully directed circus, and althoguh those guys make a lot of money, it's the FIA and the factories that have the power, not the drivers, methinks?

·
Registered
31 Posts
You might be interested in the EuroBOSS series that visits Brands Hatch this weekend. It consists of ex-F1 cars driven by racing drivers! and it is only about £15

Turbos allowed and slicks make for some decent racing and v. good value

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I agree it was a bit of a joke.
But I was pleased to see Schumacher say he didn't agree with it in the post race interview. And his actions on the podium etc, show he doesn't agree with what Ferrari is doing. He made a good point about the amount of money invested in the team, and how silly they would look if they failed to secure the drivers championship.
Some people seem to think Schumy should have disobeyed team orders, but think about it, I get paid a miniscule fraction of what he does, and I always do what my boss tells me. When you get that much money you do as you're told!

That said I'll see you on the Gold Coast for Indy Stef!!!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually HPSOV, I reckon Schumacher could probably get away with just about anything he wants to (he seems to with the stewards, after all). He's hardly going to notice if they dock his pay, and I can't really see them sacking him either...

(With a name like that, you wouldn't happen to work in the Mascot area would you?)

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Oh please people, lets keep a sense of perspective here:

1. Team tactics have always been a part of GP racing, even back to the thirties when Mercedes were dominant. Neubauer used to tell his drivers the finishing order before the races started.

2. Ferrari and its sponsors have invested heavily in winning championships. Before Sunday RB had little chance of winning the championship. MS was Ferrari's best hope. It's only natural to put your best shot to the front.

3. Ferrari could have made the switch without anybody knowing - a slow stop for RB for example - at least this way everyone knew that RB was the moral victor of the race.

4. The race wasn't entertaining? Only if you are one of these people who only looks at who won the race. The battle at the front is rarely the most entertaining part of any Grand Prix. On Sunday we saw a storming drive from Villeneuve; an absorbing battle between Fisichella, Coulthard and Button; and of course Ferrari's domination over Williams.

5. If Ferrari are able to stage the result as they wish then it clearly exposes the failings of their opponents. If you feel that you didn't get a 'fair' race then complain to Williams, Mclaren et al who were no real challenge...

In 1984 I was at the Tourist Trophy event at Silverstone. The feature race was the opening round of the F2 championship. The Ralt-Hondas were dominant and Thackwell and Moreno had lapped every other car on the track some way from the end. Ron Tauranac had decided before the race that as the cars were much better than the opposition that he was going to decide the results. Moreno would be allowed to win the race and Thackwell would win the championship. I didn't leave the circuit feeling short changed at all. Just in awe that one team could create such a superior race car.

And I wonder how many of you will be asking Nigel Mansell to hand back his world championship? He won because Williams told Riccardo Patrese that he wasn't allowed to beat the team leader right from the first race of the season.

Ian

·
Registered
744 Posts
I'm not saying the race wasn't interesting it was just WRONG!! In the interest of Sportmanship it should never be allowed to happen. It left a very bitter taste.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well said,Elbowz.

It cheesed me off to see how quickly everyone jumped to blame Schumacher, despite his post-race actions and statements. Both Barrichelo and Schumacher gave politicians answers at the press conference, but I for one was impressed that Schumacher had the balls to include Montezemolo in his list of names of who might be responsible.

I may be slightly biased tho'...
Lips

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Look, I dont think anyone can honestly say that F1 is 'exiting' anymore. And if we all feel this, then there is indeed something wrong. To me , its kind of like snooker now, I like to hear who has won but I have no desire to watch it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What worries me are how easily some just fall for the M.S after race gestures. With such a hostile crowd and bad atmosphere did you really expect him not to act or say anything else. He is like 99% of racing drivers, as calculating and single minded they come that is not to say he isn't a master but I for one don't think anything he said or did was of a genuine nature.

Another 10 points for himself that's what it's about plain and simple!

M.

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm an avid fan of most motorsports, but especially F1, WSB, BSB and MotoGP, and enjoy each of them in different ways and for different reasons. I can honestly say tho', that, at times, I almost have to be physically restrained from jumping round the room when I'm watching F1 because it's SO exciting.
What happened on Sunday was a business decision which soured the race for a lot of people, but the race itself was still exciting and full of action.
And although it's all about the money - pro-rata it always has been, and, for me, that's part of what it's all about - it's "glamour", I suppose.

IMHO...
Lips

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well, Makaveli, we're all entitled to our own opinions, and the fact is only one guy can know for certain exactly how he felt or why he said what he said...

I'd rather believe that Schumacher is classier than that.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So would everyone wish to 'UL', but the man's previous actions in regard to ramming other people off the track on more than one occasion, stealing his team mates car because he puts in better lap times etc etc speaks enough about his mindset to me. That is not to say that he isn't a great driver just not one who understands the basic principles of that which motorsport was no doubt founded.

Furthermore his actions after have not changed the opinion one iota of the majority of those race fans around the world who are still deeply dissapointed. It just re-iterates again there is sadly no parellel between wealth/talent and fairplay/sportmanship in the 21st century as with most things today.

M.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts