Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A lot of you may never have heard of David Eddings but for me he is by far my favourite writer.

In the summer of 1988, when I was 12, my Uncle took me on a road trip through Europe in the cab of his Volvo Globetrotter Wagon, my Aunt who owned a bookshop at the time thought I'd be far more interested in the contents of a carrier bag she covertly handed me before we left than in the 'foreign parts' we would be driving through.

For my Uncle this trip was work but for me it was an introduction to a series of books I've read over and over again throughout my life, The Belgariad and The Mallorean tracking the exploits of young lad about my age (at the time I first read it) through Fantasy land of Sorcery and Magic far more evocative than anything I'd read before.

I've been an avid follower of the Eddings stories ever since and today learned that David Eddings died yesterday at the age of 77, his loss is quite a personal one to me, as was the death of David Gemmell.

To David, thank you for the stories, I wont stop reading them.

:)

Sean

More info here - Fantasy master David Eddings dies aged 77 | Books | guardian.co.uk

N

·
0 Posts
Didn't realise he was that old.

:(

Must have read the Pawn of Prophecy in about 1985.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't realise he was that old.

:(

Must have read the Pawn of Prophecy in about 1985.
Just the beginning...

Redemption of Athalus is a good read too, Eddings always had this habit of ending a story making you feel all warm inside, complete opposite of Gemmell I suppose who went around introducing likeable characters only to kill them off a couple fo chapters later.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts