Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cause of death: Big-end Bearings Gone.
Quote for reconditioned engine: £750
Quote for labour to fit: £1450 (14 hours)

As much as I loved this car, for 4 long years, and replaced almost every part on it; our time seems to have come to an end. Truly, truly broken-hearted. :cry:

Will probably put the whole car up on eBay
Lot of good parts on it, but don't have the time to scrap it myself

That's all.

·
Registered
'98 GTV V6
1,299 Posts
Sorry to hear :( But £1450 :eek: for 14 hrs work, thats over £100/hr, I would try another garage. Found these guys advertising on eBay - Ital Autos

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Know how you feel mate.

The auxiliary belt snapped on my TS a few months ago, I have spent a fortune on it in the year I have owned it and had an amazing holiday driving round Europe last year but I am getting a bit fed up with fixing something then something else giving up.

Seeing the prices of newer, better models at the minute isn't exactly inspiring me to spend on it either

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Sleep on it mate and you might feel better in the morning, fresh ideas and cheaper labour rates like the guys say above, autolusso are good for recon engines.

Dont give up:)

·
Registered
6,268 Posts
Sleep on it mate and you might feel better in the morning, fresh ideas and cheaper labour rates like the guys say above, autolusso are good for recon engines.

Dont give up:)

Yeah arent they fitting recon motors for £1500, seems a good price to me, spec on the engines is good as well.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah arent they fitting recon motors for £1500, seems a good price to me, spec on the engines is good as well.
True, could probably find that somewhere.
But how much do we spend on our cars, and how much more than what they are worth?
I think even if I fit a new reconditioned engine, the isn't worth more than £1500?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hope it doesn't die - I fear the day that mine will go.

I did a lazy search i.e. page one of the Gtv section and Gaag is selling his Gtv for around the £500 mark. It is all the way up in Scotland but it does have a working engine....

http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa...lutely-has-to-go-no-decent-offer-refused.html
Yeah seen some up on the north west too.
But I'm sure I'd need to go and check out the car, especially the engine
Which I'd quite a mission if then I don't buy it.
But if I do, it's a nice drive down :)

Once I get the car down, I guess I gotta take them both to a garage?
Could take the engine out myself but need a hoist for that right?

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
Unless you eat a LOT of spinach, then I would say that yes you'll need a hoist - I've hired them (for engine removal from other cars) before.

If you go for the option of doing it yourself, I might volunteer some physical help. I say this basically because I am convinced (Alfa paranoia) that my engine will fail before we part ways and I love the car that much that I would seriously consider attempting to replace it myself.

I would also be trawling the internet for people who are breaking Alfas, particularly those where there is damage to the body of the car.

There is a breaker on here who hails from the southwest (can't remember who it is offhand but I'm sure he'll show his face soon enough)

·
Registered
890 Posts
If I was closer I would have gave you a hand free of charge want to get In about another enginetransplant I enjoyed doing mine and if you love the car why not

·
Registered
693 Posts
You also have to think about what else the money would buy you. If you spend £1500, you get a GTV with an as new engine, which you are attached to and have invested time and money into already. You know the car's faults and how reliable it is. If you flog it and get next to nothing for it, then spend that £1500 on another car, you are buying an unknown quantity, with an engine that isn't new and that has potential problems stored up, as well as parts that will need replacing all over again. Plus you don't have the memories with the replacement car.

I have considered this a number of times with my car. It is a 98 Twinspark on 142 000 miles. I keep on top of maintenance and hope it runs indefinitely, but there is always the chance that she will just give up in some way. I have replaced so much on her in my ownership, that I would probably pay to have a new engine fitted, so that I could go on enjoying the car. Good luck with whatever you decide on doing.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts