Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
38,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Regional Support North, Is there a meet near you?
63,532 Posts
wierd! i just bought a set of these from a motor place near me for my twinny

first impressions, they aint bad i suppose, brighter than the bulbs that were in previously although only one was working anyway :rolleyes:

not very blue either so no real complaints as yet :)

·
Registered
6,811 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
im going to ask a silly question but why not get a hid headlight kit from ebay for £40 straight from japan what a difference these babys make, just a suggestion though

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,380 Posts
I put these Rings in my TS last year and I am VERY pleased with them, no problems at all and they show me the way better than anything else I have tried.

EDIT. Do check what bulbs you have before ordering. Some 916 cars use HB4, most use HB3 but some use a mix of the two. As they are not directly interchangeable...........

·
Registered
890 Posts
i have never failed with them yet, because everything is hidden and you cant see the actuall bulbs so 2 mots later and still going, just dont go for "look at me im illegal" strong ones

·
Registered
38,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didn't want HID's as I know how annoying they are to other drivers. Plus the legal and insurance applications mean I would rather get something that is approved.

The Philips Extreme power ones above are from the Philippines. I wouldn't be suprised if they are fake.

I used Osram Nightbreakers in my fiat coupe and To be honest I wasn't impressed. I am not sure they do those in HB3 anyway.

·
Registered
221 Posts
In the past I used pair of Philips Extreme on my 156, they were a little bit brigher but only for 6 months. The effect of ageing is quite fast esspecially if you switch on the lights all the time.
Now I use Philips Premium +30% more light and I am not impressed.I am thinking about a HID conversion with 6000K lamps but only for the high beam lights. With this shouldn't be any legal issues.

·
Registered
916 Posts
In my experience, the ring bulbs may be a bit brighter, but have a very much shorter life.
The HID question has been covered many times before. To be strictly legal, the car should be fitted with a self-levelling headlamp system as well as headlamp washers. However, as far as the MOT test is concerned, only the operation and pattern are checked; if the lights work and the pattern is within limits, it cannot fail. There is (currently) nothing in the MOT manual about what type of bulbs are fitted. If you were to fit non E-marked bulbs this would also be technically illegal, but that is not checked by the MOT test either.
HID's work well in the GTV (as opposed to 156 etc) as the pattern is far more accurate/defined, being created by a lens/mask arrangement rather than simply a reflector. This means that there is virtually no "scatter" to annoy oncoming drivers.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
HID's work well in the GTV (as opposed to 156 etc) as the pattern is far more accurate/defined, being created by a lens/mask arrangement rather than simply a reflector. This means that there is virtually no "scatter" to annoy oncoming drivers.
I think thats because the GTV has projector type headlamps unlike the 156. Can anyone confirm that?

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
EDIT. Do check what bulbs you have before ordering. Some 916 cars use HB4, most use HB3 but some use a mix of the two. As they are not directly interchangeable...........
Found that out 2 weeks ago....ordered what was advertised as high and low beam bulbs for mine, received 2 HB3 and 2 HB4.....and as Nige says, both mine are HB3......:(

·
Regional Support, For Lincolnshire - AOL
16,380 Posts
Found that out 2 weeks ago....ordered what was advertised as high and low beam bulbs for mine, received 2 HB3 and 2 HB4.....and as Nige says, both mine are HB3......:(
Aaaagh, if only I knew you were about to order some !

I have some fantastic eBay specials here, brilliant white Xenon, four for about a tenner. The first night drive after I fitted them I had to stop on a well lit " A " road to see if they were working at all.

Now going really cheap, or more likely smash, I wouldn't even give them away.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Becouse such conversion is illigal and this is a straight way to fail MOT.
mine didnt:p:lol: if fitted propperly and aligned correctly there fine, still illegal though:lol:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts