Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a second hand set of 17'' Spoked alloys for my GT. I know the standard tyre for this wheel is 215/45/17. I've also seen GT's running with 225/45/17's on the same alloy.
What's the best size tyre?

Will all 17'' Alfa Spoked Alloys be able to handle the wider tyres or does this alloy vary between 147, 156 & GT's?

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Not sure about the GT but I've just fitted 225/45 x 17 to my 156 with 7" Spoked Alfa rims. The taller side wall does give a slightly softer ride but it does depend on the make of tyre.

They went on without any fouling, rims have a ET 40.5.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dug out an old GT brochure and can see that the 225/45/17's were standard for V6's, whilst the 215/45/17's were the upgrade option for all other GT models. Anybody see any reason why putting 225/45/17's on a GT JTD would be a bad idea? Presumably it's fine??

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd be inclined to stick with the slightly narrower tyre for several reasons:

1) Insurance - some companies have been known to classify a non-standard (or non-option) tyre size as a 'modification';
2) Cost - come replacement time, bigger tyre = bigger £££ (usually...!)
3) Wear - bigger tyre = heavier = more loading on suspension
4) Steering effort - bigger tyre = heavier low-speed steering

I assume the V6 had the bigger tyre due to higher power. Whether any other changes were made to the spec to allow for that (eg. power steering pump, etc.) I don't know - but there is very likely someone on here who does :)

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
I've got 225's on my 17" GTA wheels. To be honest I think its better to go wider as its more grip which we all no = more fun

1 - 5 of 5 Posts