Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought one of those cables so I can connect to my cars ecu with a laptop. I'm a nuts and bolts sort of bloke and have (until now) managed to avoid the whole diagnostics thing.

So, I have read a few threads about ecuscan and things but I am none the wiser tbh:confused:

Could any of you gents give me a few pointers on how to get started, as I said I have the cable and Its wired with a switch for resetting airbag, abs etc.

Are there any DONTS with regard to connecting my laptop to my cars brain, as in, can I wipe anything I shouldnt.

What software do I need, free or otherwise. Is it fairly intuitive or can I buy/download a tutorial?

Any tips recieved will be rewarded with loads of these:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Thanks lads.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
The software, either FiatECUScan (FES) or AlfaDiag, is simple. My personal preference is FES because the free version does everything I need.

The harder part is setting up he USB port and driver (not always needed) for it. Once you are talking to the car the rest is really easy.

If you were closer I would do it for you; it can be a real pain sometimes but like changing mechanical components, after doing it once the second time is so much easier. However, it can also go right first time with no special effort - I have seen both.

If you do need a driver it is here:-

http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/CDM/CDM20814_WHQL_Certified.zip

I wrote a bit of a guide a few months ago in someone else's post. Have a search it is here somewhere.

·
Registered
13 Posts
hi,i bought the cable last week and mine came with a disc with software on it,but i find the dnecudiag free download works better,just google it.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow, this is a busy old forum! I posted this thread last night and its already 3 pages back!

Thanks for the replies and links fellas:thumbs:, I got my lead second hand so no software, I will have a fiddle and see can I turn off my airbag light:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Once plugged into your car it may not connect. There are two probable and one rare possible reason.

1. The OBD connector in the car has surface corrosion. Just unplugging and re-connecting the cable a few times is enough to clean this and make a connection.
2. The windows "port" needs its driver upgraded to the one in the link I have shown above. When you plug the cable into your laptop and before connecting to the car you will get a new port under PORTS. It is that port that needs the new driver.
3. There is one recorded instance of a car having wires behind its OBD connector loose and not connected.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Important is the driver, do not use the driver that windows automatically loads when it 'sees' the cable. Car diagnostics is old science and uses VCP driver (virtual com port)
Check ftdichip.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts