Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed an engine change in my 147 and if I hadn't had to remove the sump for cleaning and resealing can't see how I was meant to get the nuts on the back of the right hand drive shaft? Is there a knack to this or did I not look at it properly?
Got the left side ok but when the sump was on the car could not seem to get to the back of the shaft to replace the nuts? :confused:

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You just hold them in place against the hole. It's easy enough to get the bolts started, they're finger tight untill they bite into the nylon.

Once there, the nuts can't turn much at all as they're held captive due to the proximity of the rest of the drive shaft.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks chris could not get my fingers behind the shaft on the right no probs on the left just the right did it while the sump was off ?

·
Registered
9,489 Posts
Can't think why you have a problem....I normally position the bolt I'm working on at about "2 o'clock" posotion as viewed from the wheel end, and access is pretty easy.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't think why you have a problem....I normally position the bolt I'm working on at about "2 o'clock" posotion as viewed from the wheel end, and access is pretty easy.
Not much more I can add to this...:)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Must be me I did think it was strange ? I've never had a problem before maybe it was just the angle I was at?

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Its awkward yes as there is not much space and you have to do one at a time.
I found doing that the most awkward of a complete engine swap simply becasue it was very slow doing one at a time on 8 bolts I think it is from memory.

Passing bolt through the shaft past the boot then holding the nut in place and using a socket while I just held the nylock nut inplace till it bit.

Just fiddly. Keep at it ;-)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts