Alfa Romeo Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Amazon are going to charge me £79.99 because I accidentally signed up for Prime. (Haven't we all?). Unless, of course, I ring a dodgy number and ask them to refund me. Very convincing, except that a phone conversation with Amazon is about as likely as alien abduction.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Ring Amazon - they have given both of us refunds on unwanted Prime subscriptions with hassle.

Edit:

AArrggh . . .

That should have read NO hassle!

·
Registered
16,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
I've had a switch to emails this week. If I want to keep my PC remain free from virus and the malware, I need to refresh my licence, or license. 62% second year discount, love you long time. Your PC is under the attack NOW! Your PC is infected with 5 virus. Hackers are steal your informations. Act now to protect your informations. 71% second year discount.

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
Amazon are going to charge me £79.99 because I accidentally signed up for Prime. (Haven't we all?). Unless, of course, I ring a dodgy number and ask them to refund me. Very convincing, except that a phone conversation with Amazon is about as likely as alien abduction.
See the edit to my previous post; one word missing & the meaning was totally destroyed!

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Tell me more
Just that the autodiallers clock up when a number has been answered and therefore its fair game for repeat calls.........One of the reason why many people don't answer unrecognised numbers. If its a genuine caller they'll leave a message. Difficult if you have a business number, of course.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Just that the autodiallers clock up when a number has been answered and therefore its fair game for repeat calls.........One of the reason why many people don't answer unrecognised numbers. If its a genuine caller they'll leave a message. Difficult if you have a business number, of course.
I did wonder if this was the case. My mum got duped a couple of years ago and since then she gets a lot of calls. Usually about insurance of TV/Washing machine/generic white goods etc.. Fortunately she has learnt her lesson and doesn't answer the calls. She noted them all down now. occasionally she does answer without thinking and has a conversation, but does out the phone down before signing up to anything. Guess this makes her number game for repeat calls.

They are all slightly different, but area code is mainly for places around Surrey or North London.

I'm hoping the more she ignores them the less she'll get.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Last week I had four Amazon calls in less than an hour, with about 30 seconds between 1st and 2nd. I've got fed up with blocking them as they use a different number each time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Been bombarded with calls from 'Sky' broadband recently (we don't have Sky); spoke to my wife each time, but the calls kept coming. Eventually I answered one and told the bloke on the line to xxxx off. No more calls.

·
Registered
38,907 Posts
My daughter had a brand new SIM and phone number two weeks ago, she is 10 years old and is now getting calls from HMRC, and from people asklng about the accident she was involved in 2 years ago.

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Today, it was a phishing text asking me to sign up for automatic bill payment. I mean, I don't don't have an account with that particular utility, so there is no way I'd fall for it, but I can easily see people who do use their services signing up via the text. It's frustrating because the authorities don't care and aren't taking any steps to stop it.

Also, since I'm ranting, it makes doing legitimate business more difficult. I took a call the other day from somebody on the other side of the country. She was shocked that I actually answered the call, and explained that most people, especially those outside her area code, won't pick up the phone if they don't recognize her number. Now, in my line of work the odds are really good that I won't recognize the majority of the numbers calling me, so I do what used to be commonplace. I answer calls. I can usually tell when it's duct-cleaners or "Visa" calling, but I still pick them up on the off chance I'm wrong. It's just so frustrating that something that could have been halted in its tracks years ago has essentially ruined an entire means of communication.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
It's frustrating because the authorities don't care and aren't taking any steps to stop it.
Massive effort and attention goes into internet security. But phone calls - nothing.

I pay for Virgin to block landline calls from with-held numbers (which stops some legitimate calls). Yet every day the "last number" message is: "We do not have the caller's number." Limply, Virgin say they can't intercept foreign calls. I'd happily block all foreign calls; anyone abroad knows my mobile number anyway.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Apparently someone called Emma wants a fun night with me too. I hope she wants to watch repeats of Top Gear.
She is a busy girl on the 16th Feb she emailed me say she was bored....Since I refused to open the email I am not sure what else she wanted. She joined Lisa (14/02) in the deleted box and they were subsequently joined by Sophie (18/02), Sanne (19/02), Anne (21/02) and Fleur (22/02).

Aren't I popular but dont't tell my wife

81 - 93 of 93 Posts