Alfa Romeo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
7,028 Posts
For the landline we use TalkTalk's Call Safe service - most providers will have something similar. Any caller not on our approved list is asked for their identity, which is recorded & played back when we answer the phone; we can than accept once, add to approved list or reject. We haven't had a single nuisance call since we started using it.

For mobiles, quite simple, we don't answer calls from unknown numbers. If it's a genuine caller they can leave a voicemail, if not, nothing lost.

·
Registered
16,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I have just had a call on my mobile from HMRC about the tax fraud I have committed. Apparently, there's a warrant.

Handily, I am currently in an HMRC office working so the lads executing the warrant won't have far to go.

·
Registered
38,907 Posts
I had one today saying something about my National insurance number being used in wales and that unless I spoke with them I would end up in court.

I pressed 1 so that I could speak to them and hopefully string them along a bit with some false details and a made up name but all I could hear was a busy room for a few seconds and then they hung up on me.

So they are not very good at scamming, unless they were trying to target an older person and could tell by my voice that i was younger?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I pressed 1 so that I could speak to them and hopefully string them along a bit with some false details and a made up name but all I could hear was a busy room for a few seconds and then they hung up on me.
Isn't the concern here that, by doing that, you get connected to some high cost premium line? Or is that only if you call another number that you have been given?

·
Registered
38,907 Posts
I am not sure that could happen? Either way I was only connected for around 8 seconds. If I get a dodgy charge on my phone bill I will take it up with the phone provider.

·
Administrator
46,877 Posts
There's been a few people on this thread talking about calling the number back, or pressing buttons as requested. I don't think either are a good idea, because (as I understand at least) both can result in it then being considered a call you have made, and therefore can be charged for.

·
Registered
38,907 Posts
Fair point, there is nothing showing on my bill at this stage...

·
Registered
56 Posts
One of my work colleagues started to get a lot of random return calls, people saying they missed a call from this number, voice messages, etc. Turns out a scammer picked his number at random to be their spoofed mobile number. Nothing he can do about it other than change the number he has had for the last 10 years or so. Some people are just a waste of space.

Regards
Scott

·
Registered
56 Posts
It gets better. I had one swearing black and blue he was speaking to my old boss (used his name) just a few days ago. Trouble is, he had passed away a year ago. They get rather irate when you catch them out.

Regards
Scott

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I have a text message sitting my spam folder (never knew I had a spam folder for texts!) from HSBC saying someone tried to set up a payment from my account. Please click the attached link to cancel it or authorise it.

Yeah, not happening!

·
Registered
38,907 Posts
I keep getting messages from HSBC as well, saying that my account has been compromised and that I need to follow the link.

For a start I don't even have any dealings with HSBC

·
Registered
712 Posts
A new twist on the Amazon phone scam this morning. Phone call told me I had just authorised payment for an iPhone - over a £1400 was going to be taken from my card. I didn't listen any further but I expect it wanted me to contact them or whatever.

After hanging up I had a moment of uncertainty - was there an actual purchase scam taking place not a phone scam? I logged on to my Amazon account just to double check and changed my log in for good measure. No activity had taken place since I bought my grandchildren's Christmas presents in December, so all's well there.

·
Registered
712 Posts
These thing always seem to come in threes:

today I received an email seemingly from the post office informing of a missed delivery; which I was in fact expecting; at a time when I knew the house had been empty this morning: asking me to reschuedule delivery and providing a link to do this. This is the closest anybody's come to fooling me yet, really quite plausible - not until the second page of the form when I was asked for bank details did I smell a rat.

Just a heads up for all.

I wonder what the next one will be?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I am guessing this type of fraud will happen more often, now that Brexit means potential import duties on stuff coming in from the EU, which has to be paid to the courrier before they will deliver.

·
Registered
712 Posts
The trio is complete the third one is from "Paypal" they want me to follow a link to my account to update my details to comply with Brexit requirements or they will block my account - email forwarded to [email protected].

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
Your phone obviously been noted as a "live number"........ :(

61 - 80 of 93 Posts