Alfa Romeo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
For a spell I kept getting extortion emails. "They" apparently put malware on my computer which was invisible to all anti-malware software. This has harvested all my email contacts, and has also recorded me, through my webcam, pleasuring myself (their words). Having done that, they remove the malware, also invisibly.

If I don't send them £500 in bitcoin, they will email the video to all of my contacts.

To give it some spice, they have one of my computer passwords, which I'm pretty sure came from a facebook breach.

In my case, I'm certain no such video exists, unless it's of me pleasuring myself by looking at crappy old cars on eBay. But if you did have a penchant for pleasuring yourself in front of your laptop, I imagine it might make you a wee bit worried. However, if you do get this email, don't panic, nothing has ever been sent to my contacts.

It's interesting to note that since deleting my Facebook account, I hardly get any spam emails at all. This may be a coincidence.
I’ve a mind to scrap my Facebook presence too. This might be a worthwhile endeavour as I’ve had plenty of recent attempts to access my account.

·
Registered
16,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I’ve a mind to scrap my Facebook presence too. This might be a worthwhile endeavour as I’ve had plenty of recent attempts to access my account.
A couple of years ago pretty much every online account I have got messed with. I had the same password on all of them, and once they got one, they fell like dominoes.

I stopped going on facebook because I was sick to death of it but kept my account because I used messenger. All was well until this summer when someone kept requesting password resets. It had two-stage on it so they didn't get anywhere but I decided enough was enough.

Reactions: 147Alfaguy

·
Administrator
46,877 Posts
I’m getting an average of three calls a day that, when I return the call, say the number has been disconnected or if I text, the message is returned as failed. Why is this permitted? Such an effing waste of time as well as a bloody nuisance.
I'm not sure that trying to return the calls is the best idea. Some scams work by trying to get you to initiate a call to a premium rate number.

Reactions: 147Alfaguy

·
Registered
524 Posts
I'm not sure that trying to return the calls is the best idea. Some scams work by trying to get you to initiate a call to a premium rate number.
I know what you mean but at least I can see the number I’m calling. They’re usually an ordinary interstate number with no unusual prefixes. My beagle got hold of my phone a couple of years ago and I’m still in the process of acquiring all the numbers of old friends as all contact info was on that phone. A bloody silly thing to do...Should have kept the old note book up to date.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
On Weds I received no less than 6 calls threatening to cut of my internet due to illegal activity. They said it was a call from my internet supplier, but didn't specify which one. Coincidentally I had a BT engineer in to resolve access problems that day. He confirmed that they do not make such calls.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
On Weds I received no less than 6 calls threatening to cut of my internet due to illegal activity. They said it was a call from my internet supplier, but didn't specify which one. Coincidentally I had a BT engineer in to resolve access problems that day. He confirmed that they do not make such calls.
We’re Virgin Media customers and when they called from “TalkTalk” and I said as much they tried to put me across the Virgin Media team.

Being an IT engineer I made a virtual machine and replaced the common tech support scam tools with programs which spat out various insults when clicked.

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
The tell tale sign is the long pause after you pick up. This is because they use auto-diallers which are ringing dozens of numbers at a time and they only switch across their mic when they see on their autodialler display someone pick up. That unnatural delay of a second or two is all I ever need to hear before I hang up.

·
Registered
13,316 Posts
The tell tale sign is the long pause after you pick up. This is because they use auto-diallers which are ringing dozens of numbers at a time and they only switch across their mic when they see on their autodialler display someone pick up. That unnatural delay of a second or two is all I ever need to hear before I hang up.
It's a game of cat and mouse then.

If I don't recognise the number, I don't say anything for the first second or two either. It looks like I was doing the right thing.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Three calls so far today. First two were the standard Amazon about a suspicious order for £1049. Don't they realise that always the same amount is the give away. Third call was supposedly BT having been trying to contact me about disconnection due to suspicious activity with the usual press 1 to speak to..........

It seems that they are all crawling out of the woodwork.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
I presume that they must rotate dialling code areas to blitz, as these seem to come in waves with no calls for ages, then a spate within a short time.- we are currently on a lull, thankfully ;)

·
Registered
38,907 Posts
I keep getting calls from random mobile numbers. Normally when I call back I get a message saying I have called an incorrect number, but the other day I got through to a bloke in Scotland, who denied phoning me.

Are these scammers spoofing random numbers?

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I think they must be. Recently when I checked with whocalledme I regularly get that the number has not been checked before. I also noticed that while the phone indicates an International call the number appears to be a UK one.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
I keep getting calls from random mobile numbers. Normally when I call back I get a message saying I have called an incorrect number, but the other day I got through to a bloke in Scotland, who denied phoning me.

Are these scammers spoofing random numbers?
Oddly I got a call today from someone saying they'd just had a missed call from my mobile - which was odd because I hadn't made a call on it since Tuesday - so I think they may be spoofing mobile numbers now......

Reactions: symon

·
Registered
38,907 Posts
Most of them seem to start 07935 which oddly enough is the same as my number.

·
Registered
Not a Mercedes Benz 190E
18,711 Posts
What’s the reason for the spike in these calls? Any Covid related reasons? I mean folks are losing their jobs, some are desperate... are scammers recruiting from a bigger pool now?

·
Registered
38,907 Posts
Desperate people do deperate things and fall for silly scams. I am not allowed a phone at work due to security reasons, but if I go to my locker to check the phone it always has missed calls.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The recent one for me was “HMRC”... I just kept calling them back and swearing at them for being scammers.

Eventually their voicemail was full.

·
Administrator
46,877 Posts
Nick, ringing HMRC, yesterday:

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
It's about time the telecomms industry started to do something about this. Some kind of a handshake back to the originating number, perhaps, so that only calls from a genuine number will be forwarded to your phone.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts