Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My passenger door handle broke yesterday at the hinge end of my GT JTD 07.

A quick search through the posts on here revealed that it is a known weak point and fairly common for Alfas.

I didn't for one moment expect the Alfa approved used warranty to cover it but I still phoned the Alfa franchise to get a quote (and also one for the cambelt change).

Interestingly the service manager was unaware of it being a "known fault" and despite servicing Alfas for nine years claimed only to have seen "three Alfa door handle repairs" in all that time.

When I was quoted around £250 for the repair :lol:, I perhaps understood why so few door handle repairs had gone through the Alfa workshop.

Is there a quick DIY route or a reasonable independent garage Cheshire / Shropshire border for this, the cambelt and suspension squeaks?

·
Administrator
87,042 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks David. That's really useful. I'm going to give that a try.
If I order some J-B Weld now, hopefully the temperature will have gone above freezing by the time I start it in a few days.

Is yours still holding fast?

·
Administrator
87,042 Posts
It broke again two weeks ago ( probably mostly my fault as I pulled the handle out more from the front than the back without thinking )

The tack had remained bonded to the part of the hinge screwed to the handle but instead had pulled out of the hole I drilled in the part attached to the door, also I noticed the hinge has ceased again & was rusty so I put some grease on it after freeing it up, hopefully it'll last longer this time.

I took some better pics this time so I'll update the other thread later, anyway hope it works for you .

·
Administrator
87,042 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
My girlfriend came home with the drivers door handle in her bag yesterday. Oh well, at least it gives me a chance to upgrade the door speakers at the same time.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks David. I'll let you know how I go on.

Delta, isn't it amazing how the Alfa service manager yesterday knew nothing about this "known fault" and had seen only "about three" customers with door handle problems in nine years?

·
Registered
327 Posts
The car was reading -8 on the temp gauge when she got in, I have a feeling that was a contributing factor.
'Chesire' is a nice place, maybe all the alfa owners keep there cars in a garage overnight.
I just wonder if its the way the handle is pulled, from what I can tell it is a lot better to pull the handle nearest the key barrel, if you pull the other end it snaps the metal casting and then the force left for the plastic hinge is too much for it.
I guess the service manager has only been working at the service desk for 2 days and was the showroom cleaner for 8 years. :lol:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, mine snapped first thing in the morning and had been outside in the frost all night too. It can't help a weak joint like that.
I wondered why the passenger side had failed before the driver's side.

I suspect that the service manager was fully aware of this known weak point. As I bought the car from their franchise a few months ago with an "approved used Alfa warranty" and he knows better than admit any liability.

Even more concerning though was when we discussed the cambelt, he said that if the thing snapped prematurely (before its 5th birthday or mileage) , the Approved used Alfa Warranty people wouldn't want to know because they would claim that the previous owner may have been driving it entirely for short cold journeys. I suspected that they had some experience of this type of thing.

Mind you, the showroom was spotless.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same problem - however you can now get the hinges only via ebay for only £12.99 - we found them yesterday.

Unfortunatley, a clumsy **** grabbed the handle and pulled the thing off just before we spotted the hinge kits; with the plastic connecting bar at the other end snapped as well, I'm going to have to fit a new handle.

At this price, it's probably worth ordering a spare for when the inevitable happens.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
If you're in South London, Gonnellas at Catford will do the job for you.

there are two options this way:

1. Get them to supply and fit a new one. It will cost £200.00+ because of the labour.

2. You can also go to a breaker and buy a handle from an older model 147.. you only keep the lever - you don't change the lock part as the GT has no key barrel. It will probably cost you £40.00 as these guys aren't silly and know how much Alfa charge for a new one; but don't tell them it's for a GT!! Great thing is it doesn't matter which side of the car it comes from, if they're only changing the moving part and not the lock.

The old 147 handles are really well made, high quality solid aluminium alloy. The ones on the newer GT are not - they're plastic, which suprised me a bit... Also the newer hinges are a different design, much narrower at the hinge point and look like they are designed to break....?

There is a ( very ) slight difference in the colour, but you'd never spot it if you didn't know. Just lubricate the hinge well before fitting.

3. Is the diy option that I would not fancy - there's loads of ( breakable ) stuff to negotiate if you do the job properly, including removing the window glass. Still, if you want to save £100+ in labour.....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Allitalia Wrexham will supply and fit the hinge for £70 + vat. I got my hinge for a fiat 500 of eBay this week and will attempt DIY fix first.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts