Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not knowing, but whats the normal height on a 147? whats kind of too high ? Just upgraded the wheels with 17 inch alloys 215/45/R17 tyres. Anyway measuring the from center of wheel to top of wheel arch I have 16 inches at the rear and 15.5 inch at the front. I am not sure if this is kind of OK or a little too high. also, measuring from the top of the tyres to the under edge of the wheel arch is around 3.25 to 3.5 inches gap. is this about normal, OK about right or too high ? I suppose you could drop it another inch or so, if I had adjustable coilovers but I think I have the standard suspension setup, so I doubt there is any adjustment for me there. :blabla:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
There seems to be a fair bit of variation in ride heights for the 147. Unfortunately the 147 never had well defined suspension options which the 156 had. The 156 had standard- later Turismo (F:385mm R:390mm) or Sportpack- later Veloce options (F:370mm R:375mm).

Post 2004 147s (I think) had 'comfort' suspension. This meant softer springs and firmer dampers. It was around this time that softer bushes were introduced into the front suspension lower wishbones (or it may have been a little earlier). Again, this was done to improve ride quality.

In order to get a clear picture, the year, engine and trim should be included.

Certainly there are probably no cars remaining which have the original spec front wishbones still on them.

Anyway, I wonder if the comfort spec had an increase in ride height. I say this as I once fitted 156 2.0TS sportpack springs to the front of a 2002 147 1.6. The ride height seemed 5mm or so lower than I expected but it was still balanced and not rakish in stance. I did this because I removed overly low yellow springs from this car. One of the rear springs had broken.

My point is that is early 2002 car appeared to have ride height between the 2 regular 156 options.

A further complication is that it is likely that the cars may have had the front springs changed by now. Factory springs had paint blobs on them (yellow and green are colours I've often seen) and may even have the Eibach script on them but if springs are rusty, this will probably have flaked off by now.

From my point of view, GTA ride height is the sweet spot for opposing factors such as looks and handling against comfort and tyre wear. That height is F:360mm R:365mm. Obviously the standard set up is not adjustable. Lastly measuring tyre gap is not as accurate as tyre size, profile and wear play their part.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There seems to be a fair bit of variation in ride heights for the 147. Unfortunately the 147 never had well defined suspension options which the 156 had. The 156 had standard- later Turismo (F:385mm R:390mm) or Sportpack- later Veloce options (F:370mm R:375mm).

Post 2004 147s (I think) had 'comfort' suspension. This meant softer springs and firmer dampers. It was around this time that softer bushes were introduced into the front suspension lower wishbones (or it may have been a little earlier). Again, this was done to improve ride quality.

In order to get a clear picture, the year, engine and trim should be included.

Certainly there are probably no cars remaining which have the original spec front wishbones still on them.

Anyway, I wonder if the comfort spec had an increase in ride height. I say this as I once fitted 156 2.0TS sportpack springs to the front of a 2002 147 1.6. The ride height seemed 5mm or so lower than I expected but it was still balanced and not rakish in stance. I did this because I removed overly low yellow springs from this car. One of the rear springs had broken.

My point is that is early 2002 car appeared to have ride height between the 2 regular 156 options.

A further complication is that it is likely that the cars may have had the front springs changed by now. Factory springs had paint blobs on them (yellow and green are colours I've often seen) and may even have the Eibach script on them but if springs are rusty, this will probably have flaked off by now.

From my point of view, GTA ride height is the sweet spot for opposing factors such as looks and handling against comfort and tyre wear. That height is F:360mm R:365mm. Obviously the standard set up is not adjustable. Lastly measuring tyre gap is not as accurate as tyre size, profile and wear play their part.
SO, in summery, your saying a good middle of the road height roughly is about 14 to 14.5 ish inches, but that is the GTA, my little 147 seems again, Roughly about 2 inches over that give or take a bit. So I suppose, is not outside the ball park of acceptance. From a visual aspect, I would prefer it about where your GTA is/was, but it's not silly high enough for me to start throwing money at it to do anything about dropping it an inch or 2. And if at the later date I did, it would probably be putting smaller coils on it rather than going the full monty on it. But thanks for the input. AT least I have a rough benchmark now anyway! My version is the 2003 147 19.TJD M-jet 115HP, but boosted to about 160 to 180HP ish. As far as Tyre wear goes, I get it, again, roughly my rubber is about 50% down on new depth of tread so a few mil there I suppose, as the entire wheel set cost me second hand money, 250 pounds inc the rubber. so very good deal I felt.

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
is this possible? fitting GTA springs on standard 147 TS ?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
The springs will physically fit. The lighter TS engine will cause the front to sit a little higher. I don't know how much though.

In any case, front spacers are available from Totally Alfa and hopefully, rear spacers will soon become available so it may be best to wait to see what comes from this first.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts