Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 Cloverleaf has 18" wheels with P Zero Nero tyres. When I acquired it at 7000 miles I thought the ride was firm but not at all bad. Now its at 11k and the tread is getting down a fair bit the ride seems to have become very crashy - esp at low speeds over.

Might be psychological to some degree as I just had a Giulietta hire car for a week - Pzero Rossos , same size but only 700 miles from new and the ride was a lot nicer.

Anyone else found this? I am considering downsizing the wheels to 17" a trick I did on my 147Q2 which helped enormously for comfort.

·
Registered
636 Posts
17s will obviously be more comfortable - there's more rubber/air in between you and the road.

I also tend to find that as tyres get balder, they ride seems to get crashier. Another tip - avoid the P Zeros if you can! I changed mine from the P Zeros to Goodyear Eagle F1s and they're so much better! The Pirellis are overrated in my opinion.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always liked the idea of Pirellis (the nostalgia! the glamour!) but other tyres are available I know. I did read some stuff by a Mito chassis engineer that the suspension was designed for 17" wheels and I have never subscribed to the rubber band style of fashion. If I can find a set of 17" horseshoes I'll swap.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yeah I ditched the pirellis for goodyears as well and it's bought about quite a reduction in road noise. Turn in isn't quite as sharp and you don't get as much of a feeling through them (not that you get alot through the mito anyway) but the grip is definitely there and on par with the pirellis. Plus I think my rear ones were duff (or my suspension has had it) as they were showing tread blocking (or stepping or whatever it's called).

·
Registered
453 Posts
I've always liked the idea of Pirellis (the nostalgia! the glamour!) but other tyres are available I know. I did read some stuff by a Mito chassis engineer that the suspension was designed for 17" wheels and I have never subscribed to the rubber band style of fashion. If I can find a set of 17" horseshoes I'll swap.
---
Funny you mention that TelfordPete!
I've just changed from my original 16" spoked alloys to 17" Horseshoes 195/55/16 to 215/45/17 tyres).
The ride is definitely better (even the wife agrees :eek:)
I was expecting it to be slightly worse in all honesty.
I'm now what you would call "happily confused" at this point.
:confused:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was in my first flush of youth I had a Sud Sprint with "sports wheels" - 13 inch and 165/70 tyres. I pushed it to the limit by going to a 14 inch rim (Revolution 5 spokes, loved em) with 186/60 tyres. Fast forward to today, my daughter buys her first car, a cheap 3 cylinder Corsa with 165/70 x 13 wheels as standard.

Really hate this trend to rubber band wheels!

Now all I need is a set of 17 inch mito alloys........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts