Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Began to remove the wiring loom from the 2.4jtd that i have to breaking for parts.

The car would start & drive:

* with wiring loom in place, as wired by alfa

* with rear wiring loom removed as far as just after C-pillars [ with fuel pump stil connected ]

* with b-pillar related airbag/seat belt tensioner wiring disconnected including the door connectors

then i removed the

!! 'fuel cut-off' switch,
!! an earth conenction near the drivers door
!! the front driver's door wiring connections

Now it wouldn't start, so I re-fitted the 'fuel cut off' & it still failed to start, due to a lack of diesel supply

i know the answer, just wonder do anyone konw which of the 2 remaining things prevented the car for starting & more importantly why?

·
Registered
421 Posts
LOL.

A Quiz now..... Great stuff.

I'm probably wrong but the earth connection would probably stop things working. Then again begining to have a feel for the nuances of Alfa's, it's probably the front door wiring.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know the reason what prevented the car from starting but i don't know the reason behind why:eek:

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes *somehow* if the round conenctor going into/from the door is not conencted [ or if the necessary wires break ] this disables the fuel pump.

I have no idea which wires are necessary for this function.

BTW No error is logged if this connector is disconnected or goes faulty

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just had a look on eLearn (god what a pile of brown stuff that is), anyway, wiring diag for the door gives one connection to ignition switch.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the passenegers side door, if its disconnected will also prevent the car from operating its fuel pump.

so in the future if some-one says the car will run with the door open but not closed we'll know where to send them for a fix :)

'its mad Ted'

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
no the pump doesn't operate until the key is at MAR.

if either door connector is 'broken' then the fuel pump won't activate.

M

·
0 Posts
The earth on the a pillar could be dodgy and the car is pulling earths through the doors....

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Com'on Cranky, where is the answer?

C

·
0 Posts
Hi there the reason is that the central locking system in the car you mention is controlled by a integrated service control unit,in this system the doors can be activated from the key,the door knobs,the remote control,also tied in to this system is the inertia switch,the reason being that if you have a crash and the inertia switch pops out that the doors will not remain locked,the signal from the inertia switch to the service control unit is broken when you disconnect the door looms so the control unit thinks the inertia switch is activated leading to the fuel pump being disconnected.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi there
Can i ask a question? not hi-jacking the thread, well not quite !
I have a 156 2.4 jtd (150bhp) and it has not been starting. I changed the air, fuel and oil filter, then tried to remove the no1 (furthest left) injector because of sticky black gunge (leaking?)
Anyway, after replacing the filters the car refused to start. It turns over ok, and the diesel is being pumped to the injectors but no starting.
I have left it into my local Alfa dealer since Monday and so far they have been unable to find anything wrong apart from telling me that the injectors are not 'pulsing'.
They now suggest that the ecu should be replaced - as everything else seems normal. They spent 2 days checking the loom, etc but to no avail :(
In Northern Ireland here, most places shut for at least a week for holidays and I really dont want the car just sitting for a week. I dont live far from the garage and am considering getting a mate to help me tow the car back to my house! Maybe I can find the fault?
What do you think?
I have Alfadiag and used it as best I could to find any abnormalities. Alfadiag is 'read only, isnt it? There is no way I could possibly have damaged the ecu just by using the software?
Apologies - but I am just clutching at straws here ! I dread to think what the Alfa garage are going to charge me already and havnt got it gong yet.
Hope someone has experience of this in the past
cheers

Bernard

C

·
0 Posts
Hi bernard, what filters did you change? did you use genuine filters? was the car running ok before you changed the filters? whats the chassis number I will check it out,don,t think it,s the ecu and I doubt you damaged it with alfa diag,anything showing up with alfa diag?

C

·
0 Posts
sorry just saw what filters you changed,is the fuel filter genuine? did you refit the pipes in the correct way also the electrical connections?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, as far as I know the fuel filter is genuine. To be 100% sure, I remember putting the old one back on again. This was before I called the garage. I want to change the oil filter though - the one I took off was was what I would call the 'normal size and its replacement was much smaller stubby black one ( itialian writing on it, etc) but - the wrong size of oil filter couldnt prevent it from starting?
I think I will try to get it towed back to my house and check a few more things myself- I remember releasing the block of relays in front of the battery in order to change the air filter and I have been reading posts about the 'inj' relay getting corroded.
Anyway - all this I would have expected the garge to have already ruled out! Besides - surely a main dealer has the 'Examiner' device - that would have checked the operation of the ecu, wouldnt it?
Chassis number is edited its a 2002 facelift sportwagon registered in 2003
The only error that had been showing up was the glow plug one thats quite common, i think - but had been on since I got the car.
Cheers Cranky, its getting a bit late here and I am begining to 'rant' - I need a bush before bed!

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
PLEASE edit your post to remove VIN number....send Cranky a PM with it.

if you remove the OUTLET pipe --> then turn the key to MAR does fluid come out, if not let it run until it does, might need to turn to mar a few times.

did you press the fuel cut off switch under the seat?

the lift pump in the tank is LOW pressure which feed thro the fuel filter to the HIGH pressure, located near the engine..... this could be air locked.

not sur ewhats the best way to blled BUT it should eventually self bleed.

BUT you need to verify that diesel is flowing thro the filter....

can you mix up the pipe, wish i could remember....Cranky youo ahve the car now, can he?

also is there any engine managment light on?

that could indicate a crank sensor issue..... this info could be a 'red-herring'

BTW Cranky, thanks ofr the details explaination, its does all make sense.:)

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only error that had been showing up was the glow plug one thats quite common, i think - but had been on since I got the car.
isn't the glow plug light the engine management light?

·
Registered
16 Posts
yep, I pulled off the outlet from the fuel filter and got a steady flow - got my wife to crank the engine and got loads coming out of it. The last thing I had done before it wouldnt start was try to remove the leaking injector - I got it partially dissambled but couldnt remove it from the head. Even if I had not tighened it on again enough, would it prevent the car from firing on the other 4 cylinders?
I have ordered a crank sensor from the alfaowner online shop, so hopefully that will arrive soon.
thanks for your suggestions

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
get the car diagnosted to see if there is a fault register.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts